Lupulone On leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbusAmongus

Reaction score
So I was trimming my hops this morn and noticed my fingers smelled like tasty hops. What the!? I looked at some of the lower level leaves that were new and I noticed a little yellow dotting. I checked them out under the scope and it looks like the leaves are excreting lupulin of some sort. Also found a mite of some sort.

image-3479833306.jpg

That is a two-spotted spider mite. If you cannot find the mite colonies without a microscope, then no need to worry.

Only my lower 1/2 foot of leaves seem to be infected with these guys so I am not too worried atm.

I have never heard of leaves producing and excreting lupulin - like oils. I checked my centennial and sure enough, the oil on the leaf tasted like the characteristic centennial cone flavor.

I always thought it was hop 'faerie'. I've been wrong before though, now it's time for a beer!

You know, you're right. But I also remember scrounging up a bunch of empty pop and beer bottles to take in for the return $$ in order to buy tickets for the Bruce Springsteen show. $7.50 was pretty steep back in the OLD school days . . . thus my foray into the world of home made alcohol began a short while later! It's all good!!

Back