Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks fantastic!!!
Thanks Deacon. I've used electric for a few years and this blew it out of the water. The smoke ring was the best I've ever had and a simple rub of salt, pepper, and garlic yielded great results. The family destroyed it so I'm happy.

Started a 10 lb Boston butt yesterday at 5am for a gathering at my house at 7pm. Smoked it with cherry and Apple until 165 internal temp then wrapped and finished it in the oven. For some reason the electric smoker stopped right at this temp. Came out awesome. I was surprised by the bark given it was finished in the oven. I over bought, so I've got tons of left over.

20140705_183949.jpg

20140705_184048.jpg

20140705_184955.jpg

Threw some pork tenderloin on a bit ago. Adding some asparagus later. Pics coming when it's done.

Boooooo. Overall a disappointment. The meat came out OK. Not much smoke and over spiced from the rub. A little too much cayenne. The asparagus was the worst. I know not to smoke veggies with mesquite now. Soooo gross. The potatoes and mushrooms came out great though.

Need some advice. I'm smoking a butt tomorrow and have a whole cut up chicken I need to use. Do I have to brine it? Anyone care to offer any tips for smoking chicken pieces?

Thanks

Boooooo. Overall a disappointment. The meat came out OK. Not much smoke and over spiced from the rub. A little too much cayenne. The asparagus was the worst. I know not to smoke veggies with mesquite now. Soooo gross. The potatoes and mushrooms came out great though.

As long as you learned!
I almost always learn something each time I smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I try to avoid mesquite. Too dominant a flavor. I stick to apple and hickory almost exclusively.

Need some advice. I'm smoking a butt tomorrow and have a whole cut up chicken I need to use. Do I have to brine it? Anyone care to offer any tips for smoking chicken pieces?

Thanks

Just coat it with rub tonight and it's good to go.

Smoked an 8.5lb Boston on Saturday for a party. Ended up taking 14 hours and was unbelievably tasty. Went really well with the keg of the Zombie Dust clone that I tapped for the event.

It was a good weekend.

After a few hours of YouTube and some reading, I decided it was time to try out the Big Poppa!
(Won right here on HBT, so y'all are the first to see the rewards.)ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404759659.719889.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ah i should take some pics next time. I did a 18 hour smoke @ 225 on a couple 10lb Boston butts for the 4th.

I've got a chuck roast on the smoker right now. I am making the pulled beef that FalconsBrew posted about here since it looked so tasty.

Rather than using 3 jalapenos, I am switching out 2 of the jalapenos for pasilla peppers, which still have a bit of spice but not nearly as much, and they also add a great additional texture and flavor in these types of dishes. Also, for a bit of color and variety, I am using red peppers instead of the green peppers suggested in the original recipe since there is already plenty of green stuff going in.

Here's the chuck ready to go in:

20140711_083511.jpg

Going to put a couple chickens on the WSM later this afternoon. Got them sitting in a simple brine right now. Heck, I might walk over to the butcher shop and grab a couple bratwurst to put on the fire. I'd hate to let any unused space on the grill grate be wasted. :D

Going to put a couple chickens on the WSM later this afternoon. Got them sitting in a simple brine right now. Heck, I might walk over to the butcher shop and grab a couple bratwurst to put on the fire. I'd hate to let any unused space on the grill grate be wasted. :D

Absolutely well thought out lol!!
2 big racks of baby backs going on when the WSM gets up to temp.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405170865.188685.jpg

After I smoked a pair of chickens and after we had finished eating, the skies opened up with a really impressive downpour. Thanks to a trick I read here, I ran out and turned the middle section of the WSM upside down. (After removing the racks and water pan, of course). That did a great job of keeping water out of the bottom section - dry as a bone this morning!

I don't get it. How does turning the middle section upside down do anything? It is essentially a hollow cylinder.

When it rains here (admittedly, not very often), I just make sure the cover is on the smoker...

It's the way the pieces fit together. Normally the bottom of the middle section slides into the bottom section and would allow water to run down the side of the smoker and into the bottom section.

If you turn it upside down, the middle section will fit over the bottom section and water won't run in. The top part will be hot enough to evaporate the water before it reaches the bottom to pool up.

I don't get it. How does turning the middle section upside down do anything? It is essentially a hollow cylinder.

When it rains here (admittedly, not very often), I just make sure the cover is on the smoker...

When right side up the lid goes inside the center section and water can get in. When upside down the lid goes over the center section and the rain stayes outside. Same seems to apply to the bottom, when right side up the center piece goes inside the bottom, upside down it goes over and around.

I think it is designed this way to not pinch/cut your probe wires so much.

I need to make it into a Costco... Whole packers around here are damn near impossible to find!

Flats I can get.. and even then they are choice and just the flat, and it's $7.99 a pound. At that price, I may as well get the whole brisket, and pay a little more per pound and get a Snake River Farms wagyu prime brisket.

I need to make it into a Costco... Whole packers around here are damn near impossible to find!

Flats I can get.. and even then they are choice and just the flat, and it's $7.99 a pound. At that price, I may as well get the whole brisket, and pay a little more per pound and get a Snake River Farms wagyu prime brisket.

Ya I hear ya. I can't believe I found those. My local costco stopped carrying packers a long time ago. They have choice flats, but they're 6-7/lb. Went into a newly opened costco and saw them. I was super close to asking for all they had in the back....

I haven't used SNF before, but I have ordered from Marx foods. Came out just a little under 9-10/ lb for their wagyu. Super good brisket. Theirs comes from Australian beef.

I know its not meat, but this is what I will be smoking one on. My newly built (by me) UDS

I built a 17g coal basket for it....will hold 50+ lbs of charcoal if I want. At 30lbs, it held temp for over 30 hours, and still had hot coals in it after 72.

Once I put it through a couple trials, Im going to get it powder coated. Should be great!

IMG_1559.jpg

I know its not meat, but this is what I will be smoking one on. My newly built (by me) UDS

I built a 17g coal basket for it....will hold 50+ lbs of charcoal if I want. At 30lbs, it held temp for over 30 hours, and still had hot coals in it after 72.

Once I put it through a couple trials, Im going to get it powder coated. Should be great!

Too much air getting in the 4 1/2" (?) pipes? - I notice you have at least one capped off.

Back