Paint strainer bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
Are the paint strainer bags some use for brewing (like with stove top partial mash) supposed to be plastic bags? I mean I know you're not supposed to put them in boiling water (170F max I think) but still is the plastic variety of paint strainer bags acceptable to use? Are there even other materials that are used for these paint strainer bags? Like nylon?

I went to pick up pain strainer bags for my first attempt in stove top partial mash and noticed the only variety available to me at the store were made of plastic. So my first thought was wondering if the plastic could melt in 155-170F water. Then I wondered if perhaps the plastic might leak some sort of bad chemical into the mash. I still bought a package of them but I figured I'd ask about my concerns here before I brewed.

good question... i am brewing today and have my strainer on my hop unit but left the bag at home, its the regular lowes bags that i always see on here so im sure its fine, but i wonder if its nylon... i think it is. Hope its not plastic.

I have several of these purchased from lowes, and I believe they are nylon. I have used the cheesecloth bags but don't like the fact that you can't re-use them over and over.

Back