Controller help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janlinden

Reaction score
Arduino Brewberry pie, Banana pie, PC/LAPTOP or PLC for my automated (Max 50L) brewery. What is the easiest to write code to? The hardware is no problem but the software and the Controller I know nothing about. So I want the easiest one to write code to.
I want the brewing control process to be fully automated with HMI. I will use RTD temp probes ( if you have another suggestion I may change to those) 3 or 4 Marsh pumps.
HLT will have 6kW heating element and the BK 9kW. Here in Sweden where I live, we have Neutral Ground and three 240V phases that give 400V between phases.
Well I know that the I haven´t given you very much information but I will give you more, after that I have some suggestions from you all.
Many thanks ahead Jan Lindén the Swede.

Arduino Brewberry pie, Banana pie, PC/LAPTOP or PLC for my automated (Max 50L) brewery. What is the easiest to write code to? The hardware is no problem but the software and the Controller I know nothing about. So I want the easiest one to write code to.
I want the brewing control process to be fully automated with HMI. I will use RTD temp probes ( if you have another suggestion I may change to those) 3 or 4 Marsh pumps.
HLT will have 6kW heating element and the BK 9kW. Here in Sweden where I live, we have Neutral Ground and three 240V phases that give 400V between phases.
Well I know that the I haven´t given you very much information but I will give you more, after that I have some suggestions from you all.
Many thanks ahead Jan Lindén the Swede.

I am a bit biased. But I think a PLC is the easiest way to go. If you understand how switches work, you are set. Check out a simple PLC motor starter. That will do about 95% of what you want.

Look HERE and feel free to message me with specfic questions!

What is your background? If you have some programming experience, an Arduino/Pi may be the cheapest approach. Otherwise I would recommend a PLC with user friendly software since ladder logic is pretty straightforward to pick up. I'm in process of using a PLC in combination with an arduino (talking modbus) for cheap I/O expansion.

What is your background? If you have some programming experience, an Arduino/Pi may be the cheapest approach. Otherwise I would recommend a PLC with user friendly software since ladder logic is pretty straightforward to pick up. I'm in process of using a PLC in combination with an arduino (talking modbus) for cheap I/O expansion.

SAGE. The arduino pi is great for a roll your own solution. Especially with the RPI 2 (windows 10 support) out now. Lots of good examples out there for pi-arduino control

I haven´t done any plc/ Arduino programing, so that makes me an NOOB.

Arduino Brewberry pie, Banana pie, PC/LAPTOP or PLC..... I will use RTD temp probes ( if you have another suggestion I may change to those) 3 or 4 Marsh pumps.

The easiest to code with, actually quite simple. Get a friend who likes home brew that can code, My only question would be the use of RTD sensors when 1-Wire are so easy to work with and a fraction of the cost.

Back