Suspended yeast particles a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amsmith592

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a sierra pale ale clone that has been in a carboy for approximately 2 weeks. When looking at the carboy there is small flakes of yeast(or what i think is yeast) on the top of the liquid(probably 15-20 flakes). When I take a flashlight to the side of the carboy I can see some of these flakes moving to the bottom and some are moving to the top, all at the same time moving both directions....Just wondered what this was and to let you know this was racked 2 weeks ago from primary. I would have assumed that all this floating debris would have settled to the bottom trub by now. Thanks for the help, when i get home from work i can send pics.

Andy

Hello everyone,

I have a sierra pale ale clone that has been in a carboy for approximately 2 weeks. When looking at the carboy there is small flakes of yeast(or what i think is yeast) on the top of the liquid(probably 15-20 flakes). When I take a flashlight to the side of the carboy I can see some of these flakes moving to the bottom and some are moving to the top, all at the same time moving both directions....Just wondered what this was and to let you know this was racked 2 weeks ago from primary. I would have assumed that all this floating debris would have settled to the bottom trub by now. Thanks for the help, when i get home from work i can send pics.

Andy

Sounds like the yeast is still active and stirring up the wort. Eventually it will settle, although you may have some floaties. Mine usually do so I just rack out of the middle and leave as much behind as I can.

Like you said, its floating yeast that has clumped together. You should be fine. You probably roused some yeast back into activity when transferring. That is always a possibility.

It's just yeasties being kicked up by trapped co2 on the bottom, and their own fizziness...It happens...if it's on the surface when you rack or bottle it will just end up on top of the trub at the bottom....

Hello everyone,

Andy

It sounds like flocculated yeast. I like to call them "yeast clumpies" when I get technical. They're moving around because of the co2 moving around in there. It's ok, it won't harm anything. Some yeast strains are more highly flocculant and settle out better, but even so they are ok. When you rack, you should have a little tip on your racking cane to help filter those out some. Once the beer is chilled, they will settle to the bottom.

Back