Maxing Out Carbonation With Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weberju

Reaction score
I am about to bottle a DT clone, and want it to be as carbonated as possible, without blowing up my 12oz bottles. I was wondering if anyone knows how much priming sugar is safe to add to a 5 gallon batch of beer, assuming that it has been sitting in the secondary long enough, such that fermentation is definitely completed (~3 months). Also, I use dextrose for priming (not sure if that matters). Thanks.

Maybe, I'll be more clear. Typically I use 3/4 cup dextrose in 5 gallons of beer. I bottle with 12oz. bottles. Does anyone know if it is safe (i.e. avoid explosion in 12 oz bottles, ex. Sam Adams, Firestone,...) to use more than this? How much is too much? Thanks.

I don't know the utmost limit, but let's say that a hefe may have up to 5 volumes CO2. Given that, I wouldn't be afraid to prime with 1.5c/5g if and only if you are positive that fermentation is completely done.

I go by weight...I frequently prime with 3oz/5g which is middle of the road for me. My last hefeweizen I went with 6oz/5g and feel like most commercial varieties I've tried have been even more than that, so I'm upping it next time.

When I use corn sugar, I'm usually in the 4-5 oz range. I use the carbonation calculator on Beer Recipator and usually shoot for the higher part of the range for the style.

I really don't mind more lightly carbonated beers (if that's the norm for the style), but I do find that friends and guests sometimes think it's a "flaw" if the beer isn't quite carbonated.

As far as what the safe upper limit is, I don't know. I've gone as high as 7 oz corn sugar for a hefeweizen. No bottle bombs, and I really can't imagine wanting any higher levels than that.

By the way, maybe I'm having a brain fart, but what does "DT" stand for?

Baron von BeeGee said:
I go by weight...I frequently prime with 3oz/5g which is middle of the road for me. My last hefeweizen I went with 6oz/5g and feel like most commercial varieties I've tried have been even more than that, so I'm upping it next time.

For those conversionally-challenged among us, what does 3oz corn sugar by weight translate to in volume? (e.g. 3/4 cup?)

I've had some way over carbonated bottles and never had one explode.
I use one teaspoon of white cane suger per 500ml bottle and get good fizz.
In my early days of brewing i would bottle streight from the primary until one batch was bottled when it was still fermenting (not intended) and after a few months of storage i thought id try one,well you can imagine what it was like,think champagne but i didn't need to shake it,as soon as i took of the crown cap off it just foam'd like mad, i had to stand the bottle in a jug to catch the beer,apart from the yeast it was very nicely done.not a single bottle exploded!

Latest posts

Back