brass vs. stainless steel fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
OK, first a little background why I am asking this question. The beers which I create are excellent by my standards, and the same for most everyone who drinks them. On the other hand, I have noticed some "house flavors" in my beer. Every beer has a hint of a certain aroma and taste that I can't put my finger on. It's not bad, I just happen to notice it. That's not really my question, though.
My question: I use all brass fittings on my converted Flyguy's cooler mash tun, and on my kettle. I have heard that stainless steel is better. Should I switch them all to stainless steel?
Can anyone who has switched from brass to stainless steel fittings tell me if they have found any improvement in their beers? Maybe if it's not broke, don't fix it, but I am always looking for ways to improve my beer. Thanks.

I use both. You are not getting any off flavors from your brass.

If you want to pickle the brass use 2 parts vinegar and 1 part Hydrogen peroxide and soak for 5-10 minutes. (My LHBS owner say use equal parts vinegar and peroxide).

If the solution or parts turn green you've soaked to long and the parts need to be cleaned and soaked again.

There is some lead on the outside of the brass so this is done to remove the external lead not for off flavors.

Be sure you let you beer age properly some say 3 weeks my beer's not at it's best until at least 4 weeks longer in some cases.

as long as it's all brass and there's no Al, Zn or other metals that turn your mash into a battery.

z987k said:
as long as it's all brass and there's no Al, Zn or other metals that turn your mash into a battery.

So you are saying that the combination of brass fittings and Aluminum pots create an off flavor because of the acidity of the wort?

Can anyone else say whether or not they've had this experience?

abracadabra said:
So you are saying that the combination of brass fittings and Aluminum pots create an off flavor because of the acidity of the wort?

Can anyone else say whether or not they've had this experience?

Not necessarily, and I'm trying to remember but I've had one to many and can't remember the charge or copper, zinc, aluminum etc I think they're all +something. But if you put them in water with an anode, you get a nice battery that will corrode all the metal. That's why everyone uses SS washers in their mash tun the zinc ones rust really nicely.

Back