Funny to have that "new" feeling again - 1st time kegger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinchef_fairfax

Reaction score
I just got through getting my first beer into the keg (Bee Cave Robust Porter) and I can't help but feel that same nervous feeling you get when you brew your first batch. It's like being totally new again.

I hooked it all up with brand new lines and a new regulator - hit it with 30 to seat the top ring and then purged it down to 8psi and I'm gonna leave it there for 3 weeks. Still makes me feel all new and oogie again though...

How low can your C02 tank go before you need to refill? Seems like I lost quite a bit during the initial purging of the tank and flushing the new corny with star-san.

I just got through getting my first beer into the keg (Bee Cave Robust Porter) and I can't help but feel that same nervous feeling you get when you brew your first batch. It's like being totally new again.

I hooked it all up with brand new lines and a new regulator - hit it with 30 to seat the top ring and then purged it down to 8psi and I'm gonna leave it there for 3 weeks. Still makes me feel all new and oogie again though...

How low can your C02 tank go before you need to refill? Seems like I lost quite a bit during the initial purging of the tank and flushing the new corny with star-san.

I've never pre-purged a keg with CO2 prior to filling. I use 20# tanks and they get me through most of a year with an aggressive brewing schedule. There's really no need to leave that beer at 8# for 3 weeks. My typical routine is rack to a keg. Keg goes into the chiller. Purge the headspace. Set it at 30# for 48 hours. Drop PSI to 10 and hold there for serving. Most of my beers can be kegged on a Monday and be pouring on the following Friday. (assuming they've been properly conditioned prior to kegging.) :mug:

I've never pre-purged a keg with CO2 prior to filling.

They were new (to me) ball lock cornies and I ran up the pressure on the empty one and left it overnight to make sure it held - then I emptied and ran some star-san through it to get it sanitized - then emptied it again and filled it with beer and brought it to pressure. That process seemed to use a fair amount of gas. So I was just wondering once the pressure gauge drops into the "order gas" area of the regulator how much time I might have on the tank. It's only 5#

They were new (to me) ball lock cornies and I ran up the pressure on the empty one and left it overnight to make sure it held - then I emptied and ran some star-san through it to get it sanitized - then emptied it again and filled it with beer and brought it to pressure. That process seemed to use a fair amount of gas. So I was just wondering once the pressure gauge drops into the "order gas" area of the regulator how much time I might have on the tank. It's only 5#

5#'rs will go pretty quick. Next time you want to pressure test a keg. Fill it up with water leaving only two inches of headspace. Then pressurize. This will use a fraction of what you used trying to pressuring the keg with 100% gas rather than 98% liquid and 2% gas.

Damn you! I was reading your post and now I can't get that stupid Madonna song out of my head!!!! :smack:

Fill it up with water leaving only two inches of headspace. Then pressurize. This will use a fraction of what you used trying to pressuring the keg with 100% gas rather than 98% liquid and 2% gas.
Great - thank you.. I thought I had screwed the pooch on that one..

Back