Boddington's Bitter Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Trappist

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to brew a 5 gallon batch of Boddington's bitter and am wondering about invert sugar. I can't get my hands on Lyle's Golden Syrup, but my reading seems to indicate that invert sugar is actually standard table sugar. Is this true?

I'm wondering if I can simply use table sugar instead of Lyle's Golden Syrup. One recipe I have said to use brown sugar and I'm not sure about that either.

The really nice characteristic of Boddington's is the creamy consistency and I hope to achieve that in my home brew batch.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

John Trappist :mug: :mug:

Invert sugar is different to table sugar. There are a couple of recent posts on it.
Maybe you can search or someone can post a link.
I've got to run just now.

John_Trappist said:
Hello,

I'm going to brew a 5 gallon batch of Boddington's bitter and am wondering about invert sugar. I can't get my hands on Lyle's Golden Syrup, but my reading seems to indicate that invert sugar is actually standard table sugar. Is this true?

I'm wondering if I can simply use table sugar instead of Lyle's Golden Syrup. One recipe I have said to use brown sugar and I'm not sure about that either.

The really nice characteristic of Boddington's is the creamy consistency and I hope to achieve that in my home brew batch.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

John Trappist :mug: :mug:

If you haven't already done so, check Whole Foods - Lyle's is there. I was making a Trippel clone that called for it (before I knew what it was) and my LHBS guy recommended replacing it with pancake syrup if I couldn't find it (not maple syrup, like Aunt Jamimah). Once I figured out what it was, I tried the Whole Foods and found it. It's on an Ethnic Food aisle, with the "English" foods. I thought it was funny.

If you haven't seen this, check out this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39732

Latest posts

Back