Are Decoction mashes actually worth the work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
I just got myself a fridge that is now setup to be a ferm chamber for lagers. The fridge is very large, so i really wanna use up the space as it will cost a fair bit to run it. So I'm thinking of doing a 10gallon batch of oktoberfest. Is there a big difference in flavor between a decoction mash and a reguler step mash?

Most will say its not worth it with modern malt.
Its worth it if you want to brew a decoction, but not if you are thinking that the taste will be affected noticeably. Many other factors affect that in larger ways. Ferm temp, proper lagering, aging, storage, etc.

I can't tell much of a difference, but I really enjoy doing it if I have the time. It's just another piece of interaction I get to have with my brewing.

I'll be doing a single decoction on the Wee Heavy I'll be making. Whether it makes much of a difference or not, it's a new technique I haven't done before, so I'm looking forward to it.

I have been wanting to give it a shot and may still. I also wanted to try lagers and set up an extra ferm chamber for it. After a couple of batches I guess I'm just not interested in lagers enough to keep it. Not sure if decoction is worth it for ales, so I would vote not from that standpoint.

However, there is something to be said for using the process for the sake of doing it, regardless of whether or not you can taste a difference in the final product.

I can't say how it affects flavor in a lager but I do it for my weizen beers. I think it adds value to the beer but unlike the thread linked above, I haven't tried brewing them side by side and tasted for a difference.

See this link... http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Decoction_Mashing

Chemistry of the Decoction Mash

I think the point is that some say recipie formulation can take the place of the benifits of a decoction mash...

SO.... adding a non-traditional grain to get the MALT flavor, would be an example...

OH I have alread ground up the grain for my first Decoction Hefe-Weisen...

MY PLAN: (times to be determend later)

Rest at 95 (Infusion)
Rest at 112 (Infusion)
Rest at 131 (Infusion)
Rest at 145 (Decoction)
Rest at 154 (Decoction)
Mash Out 170 (Infusion)

I decoct regularly, and love the results. Maybe I could achieve the same thing with melanoiden (sp?) malt, but I enjoy the process. I could achieve the same result as making beer by purchasing it from a store, too. But I enjoy the process of making it.

I decoct regularly, and love the results. Maybe I could achieve the same thing with melanoiden (sp?) malt, but I enjoy the process. I could achieve the same result as making beer by purchasing it from a store, too. But I enjoy the process of making it.

So what kind of beer do you make and would you share a mash schedule?

I have lots of graphs and descriptions but the fact is,,, the stuff I read is in conflict with each other...

EXAMPLE: Don't let your well modified malts sit at the protein rest over 20 minutes... the graphs show being there an hour to allow the decoctions temps to be stepped up and mashed.

Thanks

So what kind of beer do you make and would you share a mash schedule?

I have lots of graphs and descriptions but the fact is,,, the stuff I read is in conflict with each other...

EXAMPLE: Don't let your well modified malts sit at the protein rest over 20 minutes... the graphs show being there an hour to allow the decoctions temps to be stepped up and mashed.

Thanks

I used a Hockhurtz double decoction for a vienna lager that did not incorporate a protein rest. It utilizes a beta (sacchrification) and alpha (maltose) rest. The beer turned out fantastic, don't know how much of that was due to the decoction but even though it was a long process I enjoyed it, esp for it's historical value.

i'll be doing the same for my oktoberfest in a week or so

I used a Hockhurtz double decoction for a vienna lager that did not incorporate a protein rest. It utilizes a beta (sacchrification) and alpha (maltose) rest. The beer turned out fantastic, don't know how much of that was due to the decoction but even though it was a long process I enjoyed it, esp for it's historical value.

i'll be doing the same for my oktoberfest in a week or so

I do the same rest schedule for my Oktoberfest. I infuse to the beta rest, and then decoct for the alpha rest, and then decoct to mash out temps.

When I do a protein rest with well-modified malt, I make it a super short rest at a higher temperature- usually 15 minutes at 131-133 degrees. Otherwise, head retention could be impacted. Then I go with 133/149/156/mashout.

Exactly the same here--infuse to beta sacch rest (usually 146) then decoct to 158 then decoct to 170. Be sure to give your first decoction a rest in the high 150s.

I've done mashes before with a protein rest, but rarely do one anymore. I'm going to do a Helles this weekend and am considering doing a protein rest but haven't decided for sure. If I do, I'll probably infuse, infuse, decoct, decoct rather than incorporating a third decoction.

Had a few comments on score sheets this past season for my doppelbock along the lines of "Can taste the melanoiden malt." Uh...no you can't!

Latest posts

Back