How critical is temp control post ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiedye

Reaction score
Hello HBT!!!

I use a wine fridge as a fermentation chamber and it works great - the only issue being I can only ferm one brew at a time.
I've got a stout in there now and the recipe calls for 4 weeks in the primary. I understand temp control is key, but after fermentation is mostly done (say 2 weeks) can I pull the carboy out and let it finish up at semi-consistent room temp? I'd really like to get another brew in there ASAP, but don't want to compromise the one in there now.

How important is temp control on the back end?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Yes, indeed. Once the beer has reached FG and the yeast start to drop out it would be fine to move it and replace with a freshly pitched carboy! Just make sure that it's dark and stable. Room temp (from my experience) has been a fine environment to allow the beer to age a bit and clean up for a few weeks.

No problem. I live in AZ, so my room temp is around 78-82 degrees, and my beers turn out great using that process.

Just make sure to allow the beer to hit FG before you move it to much warmer temps. Allowing it to warm up to 70-72 is fine towards the end of the ferment, but if you still have 10-20 gravity points to go, moving your carboy to 78* is a surefire way to get some esters.

But yes, once you've hit FG, you're fine.

Back