correcting ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
ok well trying to understand the ph balance in AG brewing. I understand that the ph must be set at a certain level. However when you boil the wort the ph will prob go higher. Must you re adjust ph again, and what about the sparging water. Also what would be a good product to use.

PH during the mash is the most important pH. It should be between 5.2-5.7, measured at room temperature. As you boil, the pH should drop. During fermentation the pH will drop more still. You don't really need to worry about the post-boil or the post-ferment pH.

Your sparge water should be under 6.0. I usually add a tiny bit of acid to get the sparge pH in that range.

I use phosphoric acid to lower mash pH. Most of the time you will probably need to lower you mash pH. If I need to raise it (which is hardly ever) I use slaked lime.

What about that 5.2 stabilizer from starsan? any good?

just curious would the water from the fill stations be any better or just vary like tap water

What about that 5.2 stabilizer from starsan? any good?

When I have used that 5.2 product it seems to work fine on sparge water, but it hardly affects the mash pH at all. I use acidulated malt in the mash for pH adjustment. Works great.

5.2 is junk. It's a sodium phosphate buffer. It's impossible for a phosphate buffer to work correctly in the 5.2-5.7 range. What it does do is add about 100ppm of Na+ when used at the recommended dosage rates, so you will have a salty beer with an out-of-whack pH.

Back