slowly becoming a hop head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycov

Reaction score
maybe not even slowly.

usually i am a malty kinda guy, but just had the terrapin "hopsecutioner" and loved it. now ipa's have had there place on my no list for a while. but it was suggested to me by the bartender (who knows a thing or two about good beer and what i like). so i got it. wow. now if i was going to make this beer i would change it a little, but not as much as i would change most beers. this was as close to perfect for my tastes as i have had in a beer. (not that others haven't been pretty close too). but i wouldn't have even gotten this beer if it wasn't for suggestion. also i recently had the saranac pale ale. for my money this was a really good beer too. saranac is not usually a go to beer for me. they're other offerings have been just ok, for me. but i really liked this beer too (i know its not the hoppiest beer, but i think i showcases more the hops than it does the malt). anyhow i have been really enjoying the hoppy side of things a lot more than i used to. i'll have to say even the red brick whatever bock didn't do much for me today, where as usually that would have been more my style. don't really know where i'm going with this. i guess just a new found appreciation for hops (also i have been loving smelling the hops when i'm brewing and recently dry hopped for the first time)
:mug:

Thats funny, i have always preferred hoppy beers first, but recently i've found myself going for maltier beers more and more. I enjoy IPAs so much it took me about 10 batches before i even attempted to brew one. I was scared i'd ruin the flavor that I like so much. When i did brew one it was great! My next few will be malty styles though, my next will be a maibock.

Thats funny, i have always preferred hoppy beers first, but recently i've found myself going for maltier beers more and more. I enjoy IPAs so much it took me about 10 batches before i even attempted to brew one. I was scared i'd ruin the flavor that I like so much. When i did brew one it was great! My next few will be malty styles though, my next will be a maibock.

i still like the malties. in primary i have an esb and a maibock, right now. but i'm just coming into more of an apreciation for the hops:mug:

as a malt-forward guy who has started to finally enjoy IPA's too...I still can't handle anything by Sierra Nevada except their tumbler Brown ale.

i don't know if its just their hop choices or what...

Try some of the dark cascadian ales (or dark IPAs) as well. they are nice.

I have to agree with Impur, I started loving the bitterness of hoppy beers of malty beers. To be honest I still do but I have been getting more and more in to the richness of malty beers and as of late have even been giving sours a shot and likiung them too :)

yeah i've had a few of the cascadian/ dark ipa's. actually we have a local one, a brewery called new south, that is pretty good. sierra navada, like you said can be a bit harsh. i recently posted (kinda jokingly) about how my beer is better than their glissade. but i liked that one on tap, just not in the bottle.

i never really liked (and still dont) ipa's or even hoppier pale ales for that matter, but for some reason i can't get enough double ipas. for me, if it's gunna be hoppy it has to be all-in apparently.

I have the same issue, and I keep upping the hops load on my brews, trying to replicate some of the amazing IIPAs I've had. I use pellets, and haven't had the best success in replicating commercial varieties. Anybody know if using whole hops would be better?

I have the same issue, and I keep upping the hops load on my brews, trying to replicate some of the amazing IIPAs I've had. I use pellets, and haven't had the best success in replicating commercial varieties. Anybody know if using whole hops would be better?

i recently used whole hops to dry hop for the first time. they smelled fresher, and tasted better IMO. just my two cents though

I recently found myself doing the exact opposite. I've loved hops long and hard but have recently taken a break. Started because my response to every IPA was hmm it needs more hops but it's been nice rediscovering what malt tastes like.

I hear you. When I turned 21 6 years ago, I was strictly a wheat, porter, & stout guy. IPAs tasted like sweat socks to me.

A few years later, IPAs are my favorite style of beer...The hoppier the better!

Currently, I'm starting to develop tastes for Belgians, weizenbocks, & barleywines.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Maybe try a Bell's Hopslam? Very hoppy, but not as bitter as you'd think with plenty of sweetness to balance. 10% and you'll feel it.

Not a session beer, but one of my favorites nonetheless.

Maybe try a Bell's Hopslam? Very hoppy, but not as bitter as you'd think with plenty of sweetness to balance. 10% and you'll feel it.

Not a session beer, but one of my favorites nonetheless.

Top 5 beer for me, maybe #2. My #1 is Avery Maharaja. Love that beer. In fact I will brew a clone next weekend of the Maharaja.

Back