Can low temp cause ester?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
The last two all grain batches i brewed have been mashed at too low a temperature because of a broken thermometer, maybe 135 or 140 degrees. Both batches have had estery aroma at the end of primary, but the i couldn't really taste it in the beer, just smelled strongly of bananas or apple cider. I used WLP001 California and WLP002 English yeast. OG has been 1.070 to 1.065 with no yeast starter. Fermentation began in 12 hours. I have also been brewing these in the garage because the ambient temp is 58 to 60 degrees, and i thought that would eliminate ALL ester flavors and aroma.

Something seems to have created ester aromas that weren't there before when i was brewing with WLP051 California V yeast at 70 to 73 degrees. OG 1.050, no yeast starter. This Fat Tire clone had a wonderful yeasty soft dinner roll smell in the fermenter.

So, is it possible for low temp to strain the yeast and cause ester aroma?

maybe poor aeration is the culprit. i was using a funnel and a 5 gallon carboy at first. the estery beers have been fermented in a bucket, and never passed through the funnel.

Back