Zymurgy vs. BYO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYO vs. Zymurgy-Which is better?

• BYO

• Zymurgy

Results are only viewable after voting.

JBrady

Reaction score
Which is the better publication based on information/entertainment value and why? I already have a BYO subscription and am just wondering which one you guys find to be a better publication. I"ll include a poll. Thanks for any info.

- to both

Seems they've been running a lot of the same articles lately, even in the same months issues. I just let my subscription to BYO run out, but continued Zymurgy for the benefits and I like the way they support homebrewing.

I find that they do have similar topics around the same time and one of them is always better. The problem is neither one of them is consistently better.

However, besides getting Zymurgy for entertainment value, the AHA membership supports the AHA which is a noble cause if you care about the homebrewing community.

BYO hands down. I've subscribed to BYO for a number of years and last year someone gave me a couple years worth of Zymurgy magazines. While some of the Zym issues have some interesting articles I think BYO is better overall.

Looking to subscribe to one of these. I picked up an issue of both, and they seemed pretty similar. Looks like I will have to get both!! :)

I had BYO for 2 years, but let it go.(great mag) seems this site is always way ahead of them. but do plan on getting a script from Zymurgy just to check it out.

I've had a BYO subscription for about 10ys now and it seems like they are starting to regurgitate some information. That being said it is still a very good magazine. I also like the style profile articles, I have most of the Classic beer style books but when I want a quick refresher I look to BYO style profile.

Also, it was pretty cool to see one of my customers in the brewers profile section.

anyone else got opinions? I'm looking into subscribing to one of them as well. I'm more interested in your opinions of why you prefer one over the other than a vote, or if you like them both equally

I read both in about an hour. If you don't mind the outlay of cash, they are the same - get both. Zumurgy gets you an AHA membership, which will get you a discount at some craft beer bars and most homebrew shops (if you don't already get that from your club). An AHA membership gets you a discount in the national NHC competition. Also, an AHA membership makes a real contribution to the ongoing effort to legitimize, and legalize, homebrewing across this country.

Finally, a Zymurygy subscription puts a buck in grampa Charlies P's pocket, and I'm all for that. That guy is #1.

RDWHAHB4.jpg

Back