Potable water hose & weird smell/taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redstar

Reaction score
Yesterday, while filling my hot liquor tank I noticed a rubber/plastic "New hose smell" coming from my water. I narrowed it down to the potable water hose I picked up recently. How do I get rid of this taste and smell that's coming from the hose?

My first thoughts:
1. Run a crapload of water through the new hose?
2. Soak the hose in some kind of cleaner?
3. ?

How do you guys get rid of that "New Hose" taste/smell?

Thanks in advance for the help!

(No, I didn't brew with the bad tasting water.)

I know this isn't a great answer but..... : I use a carbon filter on the output of my potable water hose and it removes any flavor that the hose imparts.

Potable means safe to drink, not necessarily tasty. I'd return it and try something different. If it is not a long distance you might consider some silicone tubing with garden hose connectors. I can't see introducing off flavors and then filtering them out when you could prevent them. You might try a different brand of RV hose!

Fill it with a water and vinegar solution.
Toss it in a pot full of water.
Bring to a low simmer.

Rinse & repeat as needed.

Thanks for the input guys.

So, while cleaning up a little bit last night I let the hose soak in a mild oxy-clean and warm water solution for about 20 min and then ran hot and cold water through the hose for about 5 minutes. The weird plasticy taste/smell seems to be gone.

-Couldn't return it since it was used, and I didn't really want to deal with Wal-mart again for an $8 return.
-I'm out of vinegar, but had oxy-clean on hand. Will try vinegar if the smell comes back.
-My tap water is brewing friendly, I'd rather not add a filter unless I have to.

So, it was a Wally World hose?

I have been looking at their 50ft food grade hose for about $22.

Plan is to make it my dedicated brewing hose, so I can leave the "lead" garden hose for other uses.

Yep, wally world. Potable water RV hose.

That is pretty much my plan too. It seems fine now, not sure what the deal was. I'm going to do a bit more water taste testing before I brew with it this weekend. I'll update this thread with the highly scientific results from my olfactory spectrometer.

It was probably manufacturing residues in the hose. If you decide to try silicone be aware you can't have city pressure on it, it will balloon up fast (in other words, don't put restriction on it's flow) but it does not have any smell or flavor.

Hmmm....

If I set up my IC pre-chiller pump, fill the cooler with oxy clean water, hook up the Wally World hose, and let it circulate for a few hours...

I bet that will clean any smell/taste out of it. And, I already have all the stuff.

And, that cooler will be BRIGHT WHITE on the inside.

Brewed Saturday with the potable water hose - No detectable smells or tastes.

Me neither. Been using a couple of them going on ten years now with no problem whatsoever. More than a few of the beers have brought home the gold. I would think that if there were a problem with the hoses, it would have been noticed by the competition judges. It probably would be a good idea to clean the hoses prior to the first use. Run some hot Oxyclean solution through them and follow with a cold water rinse. That should do it.

I've had my RV hose for like 3 years and I can still taste something off about water that runs through it especially if it gets warm/hot prior to using it. My solution is to fill buckets directly out of the spigot and dump it in. Future solution is to add a tap inside my garage and just use a short piece of silicone tubing for the HLT fill.

Back