Extremely short fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VieuxSinge

Reaction score
Hello,

I am probably the newest newbie on the website. It looks great so far. So, to get myself started I decided to post a question I have about my very first batch.

My fermentation time was extremely short. I pitched at about 28 C (~82F), and although I wanted to pitch at a lower temperature I didn't wait because cooling down my wort from 100C took close to an hour. I am going to try to get a heat exchanger for next time.

After about 6 hours the fermentation had started (at ~21C or 70F), and the next morning quite some foam had actually made it out thru the airlock. Shortly after it stopped, and so my newbie worries began.

It has been now 4 days since I made the batch, and this morning I measured the Specific Gravity. It read 1.014, down from 1.043 (already corrected for temperature). I think this turns out to be around 3.5% ABV. So I guess the fermentation took place, but why did the beer turn out so weak?

Here is my recipe:
1. 1 Kg. Pale malt extract (Liquid)
2. 1.7 Kg Cooper's Lager malt extract (liquid)
3. 500 grms Caramel 40 grains
4. 1 package of Cooper's yeast

Also, from what I have read the time for primary fermentation seems to vary lots. Do experienced brewers have the same type of fluctuations in their primary fermentation time? Or is this mostly an issue with newbies?

Finally, I didn't rehydrate my yeast because the guy at my local store (who is supposed to be very knowledgeable, although a bit of an a-hole) told me not to.

Cheers!

Welcome to HBT!

Fast fermentation isn't rare at all and particularly since you started it so warm. Your beer is far from finished however. You are only at 66% attenuation so you should get a few points lower. Leave it alone for a few more weeks and it will be ready to have the final gravity taken.

Personally I always hydrate my yeast but as you found, it works dry too.

This sounds perfectly normal but as Nurmey said, you definitely need more time in the fermenter. I would leave it for at least 2 weeks and take another gravity reading. I would bet, as long as your temp stays relatively stable (around 70 degrees) you should be able to get down to about 1.008-1.010. From there, bottle (or keg) and wait another 2-3 weeks and I'll bet you will be happy withe the results. so far you are doing fine though. Keep up the good work and good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I actually want to transfer to a secondary glass carboy, and was wondering what is the right time to do that?

The primary phase of fermentation is certainly over, so should I transfer now? What is the rule of thumb here? One week, two weeks, when primary fermentation is done, or...?

Cheers!

If you are using a secondary it is normal to wait 10 to 14 days before racking but 7 days wouldn't be terribly unusual. It is much harder to wait if it is your first batch. Normally I would tell you to leave it for a month but I can't bring myself to tell you that since I know you are dying of anticipation. :D

Back