First Attempt to ferment Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awfltrth

Reaction score
I attempted my first lager and I pitched my lager yeast at 70f and then reduced temperature to 58F immediately. Pitched Wyeast 2112 and have not notice fermentation for 6 days. Is there something wrong? How do I reactivate the yeast? Any help would be appreciated.

Have you checked the specific gravity and compared it to your starting gravity? That's the only way to know for sure if any fermentation has taken place (or not). You can't go by airlock activity (if indeed you are)... my current lager has had absolutely no airlock activity, but it is definitely fermenting. I probably have a leak in the carboy cap.

If the gravities are the same, then I'd probably pitch some fresh yeast. How old was the package of yeast you used? Was it treated well, i.e. refrigerated for most of its shelf life? What size package did you pitch? Old and/or mistreated yeast may not be very viable. Also, if you under-pitched, then you may just have a very sluggish fermentation. I'd probably pitch some fresh yeast in this case, too.

Hope this helps... and lagers are fun! Did my first one two years ago, and like the results of doing them.

-Steve

Check the gravity and see if there's been any activity. But a couple of questions that are very relevant:

Did you pitch the yeast before or after you cooled it?

Did you make a starter or just pitch the smack-pack?

I began my first lager brew about a week ago, has been kept at about 70-72 degrees the whole time.... what are the effects of this? will it turn out ok? or is 72 too warm?

I began my first lager brew about a week ago, has been kept at about 70-72 degrees the whole time.... what are the effects of this? will it turn out ok? or is 72 too warm?

That's too warm for a lager yeast, but sometimes people use a clean ale yeast if they don't have the ability to lager.

What yeast strain did you use?

72 is definitely warm for a lager, you'll get some esters at least as a result... however, some people are experimenting with warmer lager fermentations... but maybe not that warm.

to the OP, lagers need huge starters from what i understand, did you make one??

Back