Denny's 1450 yeast - suggestions other than a rye beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimTheHick

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has done a big beer +1.065 and loved this yeast. I have the rye in primary and want to harvest the cake for a big beer. Thanks!

I've not done 1.065 but I've pushed it to 1.060.

It's my favorite for fruit beers and my all Willamette rye IPA.

That is my favorite all-purpose strain! I have an APA dryhopping now, a rye IPA in primary, and I also love this strain for my oatmeal stout. It's my go-to strain for all my American style beers. I did a great lower ABV version of Janet's Brown Ale with Denny's, and I thought it was terrific.

I would use the 1450 for just about any style that doesn't require an estery profile or a Belgian profile! I just love it.

The only (minor) criticism I have of this strain is that it doesn't clear the beer very well, and requires some time in cold storage to flocculate out.

Yooper said:
That is my favorite all-purpose strain! I have an APA dryhopping now, a rye IPA in primary, and I also love this strain for my oatmeal stout. It's my go-to strain for all my American style beers. I did a great lower ABV version of Janet's Brown Ale with Denny's, and I thought it was terrific.

I would use the 1450 for just about any style that doesn't require an estery profile or a Belgian profile! I just love it.

The only (minor) criticism I have of this strain is that it doesn't clear the beer very well, and requires some time in cold storage to flocculate out.

This rye will be my first 1450 beer - what do you think it adds to an apa that is missing from a wlp001 with the same recipe? Body? Less attenuation?

Thanks!

This rye will be my first 1450 beer - what do you think it adds to an apa that is missing from a wlp001 with the same recipe? Body? Less attenuation?

Thanks!

It's about the same attenuation. But the Denny's seems to really enhance the malt flavor while still allowing the hops to shine through, while the 001 seems to dull the malt flavor, if that makes sense. The other thing I've noticed is that the Dennys seems to provide what I call a "luscious" mouthfeel. It's not that the beer has more body or is more carbonated (I've done a 10 gallon batch, 5 gallons side by side) it just has this mouthfeel that is richer. Yet, the beer isn't underattenuated or sweet in the least.

Yooper said:
It's about the same attenuation. But the Denny's seems to really enhance the malt flavor while still allowing the hops to shine through, while the 001 seems to dull the malt flavor, if that makes sense. The other thing I've noticed is that the Dennys seems to provide what I call a "luscious" mouthfeel. It's not that the beer has more body or is more carbonated (I've done a 10 gallon batch, 5 gallons side by side) it just has this mouthfeel that is richer. Yet, the beer isn't underattenuated or sweet in the least.

Great. Can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Hey Yooper, I have been working on a lower ABV version of Janet's myself. Care to share your recipe so I can compare notes?

Eric

Hey Yooper, I have been working on a lower ABV version of Janet's myself. Care to share your recipe so I can compare notes?

Eric

Sure! It's detailed in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/no-chocolate-malt-what-can-i-sub-267453/

Between subbing most of the ingredients, super low efficiency, etc, I can't call it even remotely like Tasty's great recipe.

HOWEVER, it came out beyond awesome and is already gone! It was a great beer, and we absolutely loved it!

I brewed a big IPA (DIPA, IIPA, whatever) and pitched onto a Denny's cake.

My question - the fermentation temp hit 72F after about 16 hours and I cooled it down to 60F in a cold water bath.

Does Denny's 1450 give weird flavors when fermenting a bit out of range?

I don't think this should be a big deal, but I have no experience with this yeast.

Latest posts

Back