The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno_eNVy

Reaction score
After what seems like forever (months, really) it seems as though the World Cup is finally here.... almost. Having played soccer non-stop since I was 4, I have watched the American people's opinion of soccer turn from treating soccer players as they would lepers to actually appreciating the game and showing support. I was incredibly pleased to see the gigantic crowd at Team USA's send-off game against Turkey last week, all of them dressed to the nines in patriotic gear. And, keeping up with South America, Europe and many eastern Asian countries, we even had bands/drums in the stands, complete with songs/chants fans would sing along with. It would appear that the final frontier of soccer has finally been invaded.

I hope all the Americans in here will be rooting for Team USA. There is a distinct possibility that we could win our group and move on to the quarter finals; we are matched-up with England, Slovenia and Algeria (in that order.) England is beatable and our 23-man squad is definitely up to the task.

World Cup coverage starts June 11th, the opening match is South Africa (the host) vs. Mexico. SA is a quality team and worth a watch.

Team USA's first match is against England and airs June 12th at 11:30am PST on ABC, pregame at 10:30am. ESPN3 will play the replay the following day.

Also, we have one more friendly match before the tournament starts this Saturday against Australia. It's at 5:30am PST but you can watch it at any time on ESPN3.

LET'S GO USA!!! SHOW THE REST OF THE WORLD WE MEAN BUSINESS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually think that the US has the draw and talent to make a splash in this world cup. If the US and England advance from our group then in the second round our potential (likely) matchup would be the winner from Group D, Germany. The Germans have a depleted roster right now, they've lost something like five starters to injuries already. I think we could really pull off an upset there and have a lot of confidence heading into the quarters.

Hah! Win your group, good luck! England is taking the group, USA can fight it out for 2nd. Algeria knows their place and are gunning for the US to take 2nd in the group behind England (that really is their team's view on the group). I find it unlikely that the US will knocked out first round, if that's any consolation for you...

Commence trash talk!

FIFA did a few polls of their users on their website to see what everyone thought would happen in the groups:
In our Group C survey, England and Algeria were neck-and-neck at the top for a long spell, before Fabio Capello’s side just sneaked home at the end. Some 44.78 per cent plumped for Wayne Rooney and Co, with an impressive 44.47 per cent opting for the North Africans instead. USA (9.33 per cent) and Slovenia (1.42 per cent) are very much the underdogs in this case. British tabloid The Sun trumpeted “The best group since the Beatles!” in the wake of a draw considered to favour the English, but events on the pitch are ultimately all that matters.

Full article: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1223589/index.html#users+name+group+stage+favourites

Hah! Win your group, good luck! England is taking the group, USA can fight it out for 2nd. Algeria knows their place and are gunning for the US to take 2nd in the group behind England (that really is their team's view on the group). I find it unlikely that the US will knocked out first round, if that's any consolation for you...

Commence trash talk!

Thats a great opinion..... it's wrong but still a strong and valid opinion. :rockin:

emoticon_americanFlag.gif

I think we'll need to start an official World Cup trash talk thread. Which could get really interesting when the US finally gets knocked out of the tourney...

I'm pulling for US to finish second in their group. Suck it, Slovenia!

Thats a great opinion..... it's wrong but still a strong and valid opinion. :rockin:

Thaaaat's what's up my friend :D

Gremlyn, yeah that may be what the poll says but it's a fifa.com member poll and I'd be willing to bet 75% of the users are non-Americans who still think we're the same country who hosted the 1994 World Cup after the inaugural year of the MLS. Before that all we had to face the professionals of the world were dinky college students. It's a different story now, with the MLS actually producing good players and the fact that much of Team USA plays for European clubs.

This year is actually supposed to be the culmination of the efforts to make Team USA a contender. It started with Project 2010 in the 90's to put a larger focus on youth soccer in America, followed by the implementation of Generation Adidas (also known as Project-40.) For the first time, they scouted high school players as they do in the NBA/MLB/NFL with the intentions of recruiting straight to the professionals. They picked the 40 best players in the country and worked from there. Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan are good examples of what the program produced.

And yeah, we can make this the official World Cup trash talk thread. Maybe a mod could just change it to such.

I'm down, I haven't really followed the sport since highschool but did play 7th grade through 12th. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was soccer that brought this nation back together. I plan on tuning in.

Just because the US players are on non-US teams, doesn't mean they are international stars. The US won't be great at soccer until they start calling it by it's REAL name... football.

come on, gremlyn, everyone knows FOOTBALL is a game where you throw the ball with your hands, catch the ball with your hands, tackle with your hands and block with your hands. only the kicker can touch the ball with his FOOT. and he is the least talented player on the team! wait a minute.........:cross:

I dunno. Relying on Jozy Altidore - a bloke who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo in the few games he got with Hull City - doesn't really inspire a whole lot of terror in the opposition.

I'm still mad at the dirty filthy cheating French, by the way...

990125-thierry-henry-handball.jpg

I dunno. Relying on Jozy Altidore - a bloke who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo in the few games he got with Hull City - doesn't really inspire a whole lot of terror in the opposition.

I'm still mad at the dirty filthy cheating French, by the way...

True and true.

Any way we can get all the (rightfully) pissed-off Irish to start supporting the US team? At least then if a riot breaks out during the US-England match, the US fans'll stand a chance...

True and true.

Any way we can get all the (rightfully) pissed-off Irish to start supporting the US team? At least then if a riot breaks out during the US-England match, the US fans'll stand a chance...
Mwahahaha!

Y'know, I actually had a chat about this with a Nigerian mate of mine a while back. Here's the thing. While on a lot of levels we want football to do well here, we also root against the US national team. It's because the American way seems to be "we want to be good at something, so we'll throw arseloads of money at it until we're the best". America kills everyone at the Olympics, America rakes it in at the Winter Olympics, and America calls the winners of it's domestic sports like padball, basketball, baseball etc. "the world champions".

So I think the rest of us look at football and think "Go away! It's ours!" (Didn't help that when the MLS started, it had all sorts of bat**** rules like shootouts, countdowns, stopping the clock, etc., which I'm glad to see have been done away with) Basically we're all terrified of having to suddenly hear it referred to as "saw-ker" and players getting "eeee-jected" instead of a red card! :eek:

Still, when it comes to the English, you can bet yer arse I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy!

Not really going to apply now :D:D:D

From fifa.com
Edson Buddle scord twice to stake his claim for a starting spot against England next Saturday in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ as the United States beat Australia 3-1 in Roodepoort. The Los Angeles Galaxy striker, who is leading goalscorer in Major League Soccer so far this season, fired both goals, his first at senior level for his country, in the first half of an open and entertaining game.

With first-choice frontman Jozy Altidore sitting out the game with a mild right ankle sprain, Buddle showed perfect timing in advancing his cause for a role in next weekend's Group C opener. Herculez Gomez, another back-up striker, also showed his worth by coming off the bench to score the third in the 93rd minute.

Look out England...

Australia in a friendly doesn't really compare to a competitive match against a team jammed with world class talent.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Ing-ur-lund well and truly stuffed, but...

I actually know very little about futbol (but learning) however both my kids play and love the game so I am learning. My oldest is going to Brazil to play this summer and will get to attend a World Cup game while he is there.

You asked for smack talk, I was just helping get it started. :rockin:

I'm really glad that the USA and England are in the same group. If we both get through, it means we don't face each other again for a while. It would have been heartbreaking for me if they met each other in the second round and one of them were knocked out early by the other.

USA has a better team than many Americans give them credit for. If they keep their composure then they can do well. England could also do well, or very badly.....That's the nature of the game and the England team.

I'm looking forward to this!!! :D

I actually know very little about futbol (but learning) however both my kids play and love the game so I am learning. My oldest is going to Brazil to play this summer and will get to attend a World Cup game while he is there.

You asked for smack talk, I was just helping get it started. :rockin:
Good for you, man - I wish more folks in this heathen nation would embrace PROPER football instead of that odd commercial-filled padball thing. How's he going to a World Cup game though? It's being held in Brazil, but not until 2014!

As to the US and England, it doesn't really matter - they're just one of 31 teams who Spain is going to snack on en route to the title.

I don't know if it's been said on here, but I read yesterday that all the ESPN games will be streamed live on espn360.

I don't know if it's been said on here, but I read yesterday that all the ESPN games will be streamed live on espn360.

Yeah, sadly if you read my original post there is a contractual issue and the USA games will be played on ABC, then espn3 the following day. Every other game will be played live, though

Good for you, man - I wish more folks in this heathen nation would embrace PROPER football instead of that odd commercial-filled padball thing. How's he going to a World Cup game though? It's being held in Brazil, but not until 2014!

As to the US and England, it doesn't really matter - they're just one of 31 teams who Spain is going to snack on en route to the title.

Guess we were misunderstanding his itinerary, we thought it was a pregame or something to do with the World Cup taking place in Brazil. It is actually just being in Brazil sharing the excitement while the World Cup is taking place.

Here is the itinerary for his trip:
Day 1
Takeoff

Depart the United States for São Paulo, Brazil.
Day 2-4
Training Camp at Spa Sport Itu, São Paulo

Arrive in São Paulo, Brazil’s largest city and cultural center.
Enhance your game with new insights and techniques from People to People Soccer Commissioner Steve Sampson and Brazilian Olé Soccer Academy coaches.
Meet your Sports Ambassador teammates and new coach, and practice for the upcoming tournament.
Taste Brazilian-style barbecue and watch a performance of capoeira, a unique mix of martial arts and dance.
Donate equipment and school supplies that will be provided to Brazilian children living in poverty.
Feel the excitement in the air, as you follow the World Cup finals in Brazil, where soccer is king.
Watch the pros train during a visit to Ituano Futebol Club.
Visit the Museum of Futébol to understand the contributions of this soccer legend.
Practice with your new team and coach for the upcoming tournament.
Days 5-9
Copa Zico Tournament Group Phase—Ole Brazil FC, São Paulo

Train and stay at the Olé Academy used by Brazil’s top team, the Corinthians of Ronaldo. Olé has produced some of the country’s best players, including Socrates, Leao, Cicinho, Doni, Edmilson, and Bordon.
Enjoy friendly competition and cultural exchange with Brazilian athletes.
Challenge yourself to compete at a higher level, as you meet teams from all over South America.
Stay and play with international athletes at the site of the Zico Cup Tournament (Copa Zico in Portuguese).
Observe how styles of play differ from country to country and attend pro training sessions.
Share your American life and interests with your new South American friends.
Day 10-13
Copa Zico Tournament, Rio de Janeiro

Continue to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil’s “marvelous city.”
Go behind the scenes at Maracanã Stadium, one of the sites for the 2014 World Cup finals.
Attend a pro match.
Try a new twist on your sport—and enjoy Brazil’s beautiful beaches—while competing in the Brazilian Beach Soccer Tournament at Barra Beach.
Experience the Christ the Redeemer statue, the tallest of its kind in the world.
Visit the world-famous Copacabana Beach.
Watch the Copa Zico.
Ride a cable car to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain for an incredible view of Rio.

Days 14
Return Home

Arrive in the U.S.

Neatherlands all the way, Watch 'em

Yeah they look like they have a decently mild group so they're probably get out. But then they have to play #1 or #2 of group F, which includes Italy and Paraguay... don't know too much about New Zealand or Slovakia but still...

Hopefully somebody will know the answer to this question:

If a player gets a yellow card in a friendly does it ever roll over into official matches? I ask because Clint Dempsey was being an r-tard and got himself a yellow in the friendly against Australia. Is he going to have to be extra careful against England?

Two days to the opening game. This country is going crazy :ban:. I hope SA ("Bafana Bafana") beat Mexico on Friday. The host country has never lost the opening game.

If a player gets a yellow card in a friendly does it ever roll over into official matches? I ask because Clint Dempsey was being an r-tard and got himself a yellow in the friendly against Australia. Is he going to have to be extra careful against England?

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that everyone starts the competition with a clean slate. This is not the case for many competitions, it all depends on which governing body the games are played under, but I think that this competition is played from scratch ignoring any previous infractions.

Netherlands, Spain, Brazil even.....All these predictions give me a chuckle. It's a knockout competition in the later stages and just about anything can happen. That's the beauty of this tournament. :D

Any true fan of any particular team will not boast about their prowess and skill or how they will thrash all comers, they will sit in front of the TV and crap their pants for 90 minutes. ;)

Yellow cards don't carry over, only reds affect the next game. I don't think the friendlies/warm-ups would have any bearing on the tournament with a red card though.

Yellow cards don't carry over, only reds affect the next game. I don't think the friendlies/warm-ups would have any bearing on the tournament with a red card though.

Thank you. Yeah I know about red cards but for some reason I remember being in a tournament myself and a player got a yellow, which followed into the next game where he got a yellow and, thus, a soft red. And in saying that I'm trying my hardest not to appear to be a ****** who doesn't take advice. I'm probably remembering things wrong but I just wanted confirmation. Sorry

Netherlands, Spain, Brazil even.....All these predictions give me a chuckle. It's a knockout competition in the later stages and just about anything can happen. That's the beauty of this tournament. :D

Any true fan of any particular team will not boast about their prowess and skill or how they will thrash all comers, they will sit in front of the TV and crap their pants for 90 minutes. ;)
Ah, but one of the benefits of Ireland being cheated out of their rightful place by the filthy sneaky French sasaenach bastards is that I'm not a true fan of any particular team at all in this tournament - I make my predictions and decisions from the safety of cold, hard, logic, haha! :D

you're right even reds in friendlies wont matter. friendly cards only count in that match.

suckitbritfags.gif

but seriously, usa v england is either gonna be an awesome game or usa will play its typical train wreck style d. algeria is a decent enough team as well, but they play like the us. they either win impressive matches over tough opponents or get hammered. i could see it going to gd with usa and them for 2nd in group but hopefully not. usa plays good every other world cup and this is one of the good ones so im hoping for the best.

So I was just reading that Algeria is starting the Cup missing three players that were red carded in the Africa Nations Cup. Maybe official FIFA do events carry over.

when are your 'football' players going to remove the padding and start playing rugby as it should be played?:p

as for the group stage, on paper, england top but as is the nature of these tournaments,anything can happen,and as i've been an england fan all my life i've seen numerous times just how difficult they can make it for themselves.

if they can manage to play consistently and to their full potential though,look out!:D

i'm not holding my breath to hard though!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was just reading that Algeria is starting the Cup missing three players that were red carded in the Africa Nations Cup. Maybe official FIFA do events carry over.

weird, i just looked that up cause i thought you were full of ****. good call though. doesnt make much sense since cup of nations is run by the acf not fifa. i'm guessing it must be the same deal with euro and gold cup then.

just 23 hours away. :tank:

Back