Single Temperature Infusion BCS Book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougal

Reaction score
In need of a little clarification.

In Brewing Classic Styles Palmer states that all recipes use a Single Temperature Infusion mash (STIM) by default.

From my initial searching I thought that STIM was the same as No Sparge. That is incorrect right?

After looking into it further, people keep talking about sparging and infusion mashing together......

Single Temp infusion mash is one method for mashing. It requires a single temperature to be held as best a possible during the mash. After the mash there are a few options. Most people batch sparge, which is adding more hot water and stirring, and basically "rinse" the grain of the sugars. You can do the No-Sparge method, and if you search around there are a few threads on the subject.

Great, thanks for your help. I've done a couple batch sparge batches but hadn't heard the mash discribed that way. I think "single infusion" threw me off and made me think it meant no sparge.
Thanks again

Yup, it just means you mash at one temperature. An alternative is a "step mash," which could involve a protein rest, an acid rest, and a couple different sacch rests. For most beers a single infusion is all you need.

Back