Undecided on yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicis

Reaction score
I am getting a Belgium Ale OG 1.100 and would like your opinion on which yeast you would get, 500 Trappist Ale Yeast (White Labs) or 1214 Belgian Ale Yeast (WYeast).

I will be using a stir plate starter.

Last time I smacked 4 [1214 Belgian Ale Yeast] they all never really ballooned. Maybe an inch. All left out for 6 hours to warm first. But appeared to work in the yeast starter. Definitely worked in the primary.

Thanks for all the past responses guys!! :mug:

According to this they are interchangeable.

Regarding your other post, did you decide to brew a small batch first and use the cake?

500 and 1214 are the same yeast. Whichever one you choose make a big starter.

Someone suggested 3787, and that is a good yeast but a different flavor. I like 3787 a lot so it can make a good but different brew.

My two favorite Belgian yeasts are. 1214 and 3787.

According to this they are interchangeable.

Regarding your other post, did you decide to brew a small batch first and use the cake?

I admit being intimidated by this method since I never tried that. I would like to brew both batches (20 gallon pot) right after one another and get the 4 primaries in the temp controlled freezers so they are ready sooner then later. I messed up with my timings and will end up with no home brew for almost a month. :(

I do want to try your suggestion when I get ahead of the game so there are at least one of my 4 kegs full.

Oh yeah, and aerate well. Big beers need lots of O2

Dropping the cooled wort into the primary from a distance is not aerate enough? I read that a drill with a joint compound mud spinner would do? I feel afraid with a drill right over the cooled wort.

You can actually do it fairly inexpensively. I found a regulator at williams brewing for $20, then you need an airstone, .5 microns is recommended instead of the 2 microns stone. Then you just need tubing and one of those little red o2 tanks that you can find at your local hardware store and your done. Probably totals $50 ish, so not cheap but not over the top either.

Or just splash when you transfer and then shake the living hell out of your fermentor and hope for the best.

musicis said:
I would like to brew both batches (20 gallon pot) right after one another and get the 4 primaries in the temp controlled freezers so they are ready sooner then later. I messed up with my timings and will end up with no home brew for almost a month.

You know this beer is going to have to age right? I would think at minimum 3 to 4 months but maybe more. If you're trying to get a pipeline going I would think you'd be better off brewing 5 gal of this then a few other batches that would turn around faster.

You know this beer is going to have to age right? I would think at minimum 3 to 4 months but maybe more. If you're trying to get a pipeline going I would think you'd be better off brewing 5 gal of this then a few other batches that would turn around faster.
I do have 4 glass carboys that have been sitting between 2 and 4 weeks and should be ready to keg in a week, then two more weeks in the keg before ready. I do realize more time is needed on this style. I can squeeze one primary in the one freezer and three in the empty second one and just want to get it there asap.

you can actually do it fairly inexpensively. I found a regulator at williams brewing for $20, then you need an airstone, .5 microns is recommended instead of the 2 microns stone. Then you just need tubing and one of those little red o2 tanks that you can find at your local hardware store and your done. Probably totals $50 ish, so not cheap but not over the top either.

Or just splash when you transfer and then shake the living hell out of your fermentor and hope for the best.

x 4 :(

Latest posts

Back