Wort Chilling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EALynx

Reaction score
I have been using a submersion wort chiller and I have had good results when using this device. However, I have noticed that without some stirring to promote a whirlpool effect, I will eventually hit a wall with my temps. I was recently listening to a podcast from the Brewing Network and they were talking about this technique. According to them, they do not think this is a good idea at all, however they did not explain why. I have not noticed any off flavors in any of my beers by doing this, but then again, I have only used this technique on all of my all-grain beers. Do any of you think this is a bad idea or do you think that if done properly that I will be ok?

Thanks for your input,

ealynx

It think it doesn't matter what others think.

If your beer is good and it works for you and not doing it makes brewing not at easy then you have no reason to stop it.

But following the logic of what I stated then my thoughs have no value what so ever.:drunk:

If you did not circulate the cooled wort away from the chiller to get more hot wort around it you would be there twice as long.

I thought it was ok as long as I do not splash it around, but I just wanted to hear what you guys thought about it.

Thanks for the input,

ealynx

I didn't stir until recently, but it really cuts the cooling time and I have less of a plugging problem with the bazooka. Doesn't need to be fast and I haven't noticed any problem.

I just swish the chiller around a bit to get everything mixed up. Splashing isn't an issue at this point, you have to oxygenate the wort anyway. I keep a cover on my kettle when cooling, too.

With an immersion chiller, whirlpooling can dramatically improve your cooling times. I suspect that some worry about hot-side aeration, and therefore, don't recommend it (but I believe the concensus here is that problems from HSA are actually very difficult to achieve). There might also be a small risk of contamination from manually stirring the wort.

I have been trying to think of a way to auto-stir the wort, perhaps with a stainless steel paint stirrer or teflon stirring rod (like they use for wine). Has anyone tried this before? My goal is to use my immersion chiller for 10 gallon batches, so that I don't have to resort to a CFC or plate chiller.

I whirlpool. I don't give HSA a second thought. I poured boiling wort through a strainer in my fermenter vigorously and didn't get HSA...so a little splashing isn't going to hurt anything. With whirlpooling you cut your time down dramatically.

Dan

Brewtool, No it wasnt Jamil,,,,it was on the Sunday show where he wasn't there. And yes, he did make a pump system where he draws out the wort and brings it back into the kettle on the inside of the imersion chiller. I think they were more concerned about splashing and contamination. But, like I said, I am very careful and make sure the air around the kettle isnt being stirred up with dust or whatever might be lurking around in the room. As far as the actual podcast, I want to say it was the one on equipment upgrades. I thinkk it was archive 1-21-07. Normaly those guys have pretty good advice, especially Jamil.

Thanks again,

ealynx

Ealynx,

Don't worry at all. What you do is exactly what you need to do with an immersion chiller. As the others said, the wort needs to be circulated once in a while. I do it like Bernie Brewer and switch the chiller around while the top is still covered with aluminium foil and I don't have any problems.

Interesting that you heard something negative about that on the BN, especially since Jamil is always advertising his chiller. I think that his is a gread idea, but it would cost me about $200 - 300 (pump and pot with spigot) to go that route. Eventually I will, but not yet.

BTW, when you have an immersion chiller in the wort you can't really get a good whirlpool going. The chiller is to much in the way for an even rotation of the wort.

Kai

Back