Mango Pulp Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbrookeiv said:
Nice! How long would you recommend leaving a 5gal batch in primary? I was thinking 3-4 weeks to let everything settle.

By the way, I just used hot tap water, as hot as it'll come out, which I think is around 140-150F, and used a drill with paint stirrer attachment to dissolve the sugar, additives and pulp. Turned out perfectly smooth in consistency, and I did everything in the Ale Pail, so almost no cleanup! Don't know if heating is really required.

OK so I checked my notes. I left mine in 1ry for almost a month. I would recommend leaving it for at least 2 more weeks since it hadn't completely settled.

Xcorpia said:
OK so I checked my notes. I left mine in 1ry for almost a month. I would recommend leaving it for at least 2 more weeks since it hadn't completely settled.

Will do. I checked my gravity the other night when I put it together and it was 1.160! I'm thinking my hydrometer was off, because that would put me in the 20% range if it ferments out.

Will do. I checked my gravity the other night when I put it together and it was 1.160! I'm thinking my hydrometer was off, because that would put me in the 20% range if it ferments out.

I think it's more a case of the pulp throwing it off at the beginning. I'm sure it just dropping out of solution makes a HUGE difference to gravity.

Go for it. I think we just used it because it was what we had on hand!

We used it the next time we made it, because the first time was so perfect, we didn't want to mess with it, LOL

Well I'm going to start a batch this weekend. Went to Wegmans last night, and they had the cans in the international section. 3 bucks a peice. I cant wait to see how this turns out!!

Mine still isn't fermenting, as far as I can tell. I took an initial gravity reading and it said it was 1.170, took another one today, 7 days in, and it said 1.150. I pitched another packet of yeast a few days ago, and I'm still not getting any airlock activity. Any idea what could be going on? I'm using the recommended yeast.

What were the ingredients on the type of mango pulp you got?

I've only ever used the Swad Kesar stuff - maybe your brand has preservatives or something?

What were the ingredients on the type of mango pulp you got?

I've only ever used the Swad Kesar stuff - maybe your brand has preservatives or something?

This is the kind I used.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XHFG1G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

No preservatives, just Mango Pulp, Sugar, Syrup And Acidity Regulator. I hit it with my paint stirrer attached to the drill yesterday to try and incorporate some oxygen. I did the same thing this morning. I think I might throw in a little extra yeast nutrient and maybe a rehydrated packet of yeast. Glad I bought 4 packets of yeast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last Thursday I got Goyo brand magno pulp from the Fiesta supermarket in Austin. The price was $1.69 for 14 oz. I bought 10 of them and mixed up a 4.5 gallon batch in white 5g bucket from Home Depot ($3.99) with the orange lid with the rubber gasket $0.99. Gravity was over 1.13, it smells kinda bad now but not as strong as the apfelwein beside it.

While I mixed it up I was singing "Super Bon Bon" by Soul Coughing:

Move aside.... let the mango through. Let the mango through!

What kind of airlock activity should I be seeing? Mine is bubbling, but not very fast as compared to other wines I have made. Maybe 1 bubble every 3 seconds.

The batch I started on the evening of 4/8 seems a little faster, but not much. I counted 34 bubbles in one minute. It is definately slower than the apple stuff beside it which was started on 4/9. Red Star Montrachet yeast in both.

I started a batch of this yesterday. Followed the recipe precisely, except for a different brand of Mango Pulp. (Rellure brand Alphonso, from Amazon). My only concern is, the OG was 1.146. The Red Star Champagne yeast should be capable of fermenting that down almost dry, (right?) but is that high level of sugar going to cause a problem?

I did make a starter this afternoon/evening, rehydrating the yeast and adding must to it every few hours. I'm still fairly new at this, so I thought I'd check with those who surely have more experience than me. :)

I didn't even measure the OG because it was so thick. I'm still new at this as well so I just followed the recipe exactly and pitched the champagne yeast directly to the must and it's fermenting just fine. I haven't checked it for a while maybe I'll sample it this weekend to give it a taste.

Xcorpia said:
I didn't even measure the OG because it was so thick. I'm still new at this as well so I just followed the recipe exactly and pitched the champagne yeast directly to the must and it's fermenting just fine. I haven't checked it for a while maybe I'll sample it this weekend to give it a taste.

Well, mine has been a disaster so far. I followed the recipe to a T, except I made a 5 gallon batch. It airlock hasn't bubbled once, and fermentation doesn't seem to be happening. The gravity is currently sitting at 1.140. I have added 3 packets of the champagne yeast over the course of 2-3 weeks, and just added a packet of US-05 since fermentation hasn't begun. I honestly don't understand what's going on. This must is highly fermentable, and the yeast should at least be doing something. The packets of yeast I used don't expire until 2013. Help! I've been stirring/degassing it daily with a drill and paint stirrer attachment, which should be keeping the yeast in suspension. I've tasted the must, and it just tastes like extremely sweet mango pulp.

Wow, I'm baffled. I did a five gallon batch and just 1 pack of yeast. Weird, maybe the fermentation temp? Is it too cold?

Xcorpia said:
Wow, I'm baffled. I did a five gallon batch and just 1 pack of yeast. Weird, maybe the fermentation temp? Is it too cold?

Nope, it's been sitting between 72-77F the entire time. It's very odd. I'm thinking maybe the acidity level is messing with the yeast? I used 5x everything except the yeast (originally), including the acid blend. I might add some more yeast nutrient tomorrow.

Wow, yeah, I have no idea what to say. We just did 5x everything but yeast, and it worked out perfectly. The only thing I can think is that your mango pulp is a different brand - maybe there's something there? More/less sugar, more acid, I don't know?

Maybe I'll try a batch with a different brand to see how it turns out. I'm just very much a fan of sticking with it if something turns out damn near perfect (to me). That and the brand we used is super easy to get ahold of, locally.

NerdyMarie said:
Wow, yeah, I have no idea what to say. We just did 5x everything but yeast, and it worked out perfectly. The only thing I can think is that your mango pulp is a different brand - maybe there's something there? More/less sugar, more acid, I don't know?

Maybe I'll try a batch with a different brand to see how it turns out. I'm just very much a fan of sticking with it if something turns out damn near perfect (to me). That and the brand we used is super easy to get ahold of, locally.

I guess we'll see how SirThomas's (post above) turns out. He's using the same brand as me. I can't find the recommended brand locally, but I wouldn't think anything would be that much different.

It's been 3 weeks since mixing up a 6 gallon batch. The bubbling is slowing down (currently 1 bubble/4 seconds), and we are probably going to rack this coming weekend.

Did that mango krausen (toxic waste-looking stuff floating on the top) ever settle when you guys fermented this recipe?

It smells awesome. I think this is going to be a great wine.

A few days in now. While I'm not getting any airlock activity, (my primary bucket's isn't 100% airtight) I pulled the lid off and looked in. It's fizzing like crazy in there. Sounds like a glass of coke or 7-up held next to your ear. I'd say it's doing ok now, despite the crazy high OG.

I did use 2 packets of the Red Star Champagne yeast and took half a day gradually stepping up a starter with the mango must and a pinch of nutrient. Maybe that made a difference? (I took the yeast advice on Jack Keller's page and make a starter for everything now. I'm paranoid-OCD about every step of the process being just right) :)

*edit* I checked the SG when I got home from work. It's dropped 30 points - 1.146 to 1.106, and it's still fizzing like crazy in there. Smells like delicious mango in my fermenting room.

Well, after pitching a packet of US-05 on Sunday night, it's finally bubbling. I cracked the fermenter last night and saw a Krausen forming, so I gave it another good stir with my drill/paint stirrer, and I woke up to the airlock bubbling. We'll see how this goes.

Another 48 hours later, SG has dropped 32 more points -- 1.074. Hooray, it's working as intended.

*edit* -- 48 *more* hours and it's down to 1.060.

I just opened the 4.5 gallon batch that I started exactly 4 weeks ago on 4/8. The gravity was down to 1.02 (original was just over 1.13.)

The top half of the liquid was a clear light straw color the bottom half was opaque orange. I decided to rack it anyway since the instruction say 2 to 3 weeks for a 1 gallon batch and it seemed like 4 weeks was about right for this larger batch. Airlock activity slowed to a crawl or stopped after 3 weeks.

I didnt want to throw half of it out so collected all but the last thickest quart and a half or so and just figured more of it will settle out in the months ahead. Of course the layers were mixed again when I did this so it bumped the SG up but just a tiny amount to 1.022.

I tasted it. It is very sweet and has good mango flavor. The alcohol flavor is also quite hot. I've never had magno scnapps but this about how I imagine that would taste. It is so sweet that I'm concerned I wasn't seeing more airlock activity. I'm worried that the Montrachet yeast might have given up at this alcohol level and that I should pitch some champagne yeast to finish the job. Thoughts?

My wine (from frozen mangos mentioned earlier) came out decent. It is very hot, but you can tell there is mango flavor coming through. I stabilized it, back sweetened, and topped up to a gallon. It tastes much better but still drinks like a schnapps. I have some pineapple juice laying around that I might cut it more with, and worst case scenario I have some banana wine that will be ready in another month or two and I can jut make a tropical blend.

I have a can of mango pulp sitting in the cabinet just waiting for me to stop being lazy and start another batch per the directions here.

Does the hotness go away with bulk aging?

Just checked in on my 5 gallon batch. It's been in 2ndary for a few weeks now, and HOLY COW LEES! They go up a solid 10 inches on one side and about 6 on the other :( The good news is, when we started this we did it in a 6 gallon bucket, and have most of a gallon jug to top up with. :)

I am about to make this tonight. I bought Rellure Kesar Mango Pulp. I am making a 5 gallon batch. Should I cut the acid blend in half or in one third? I dont want it to have too much and possibly halt fermentation like has happened to some people.

Mine is too sweet and stuck at 1.02 so I tried pitching EC-1118 but the alcohol killed it. Then I did a proper 24-hour starter using red star pasteur champagne but it killed that too. Ideas?

Mix it with something dry. I have made some great drinks by mixing two bad ones.

Mine's the same way - I followed the recipe closely, and I'm stuck at ~1.030, and have been unsuccessful at drying it out. I'm considering making a lower gravity of the same recipe, letting it go totally dry, and blending them. It's too bad it's so sweet, it's cleared beautifully in the carboy and looks gorgeous.

I was going to say, 3 pounds of sugar in a gallon seems a little much. However, I am interested in this recipe!

Mine's too sweet/syropy also, but very tasty. I'm going to dilute it with water to taste to make it perfect.

The wife and I started another 5 gallon batch of this the other day... if fermented dry and blended with our 3 gallons of 1.030, it should come out to 1.011, right where we like it for sweetness.

But man, I was thinking I'd get to drink this by now... now we gotta wait months again. This is such a bad hobby for me to be into... I have no patience! :mad:

Mine wasn't doing jack, so I dumped three different yeasts in there over a period of about 5 days. I think there is too much acid in the pulp can. I am stalling out way too high of gravity now. every brand of pulp looks the same, but I don't have the shiv one at my store.

Okay I got a gravity reading of 1.020 and racked this out of my mr beer and into a couple of 1 gal carboys so i could see it clear. I didn't identify anything resembling yeast at the bottom of the primary- it just looked like the pulp fell out. This never appeared to be fermenting. Tasted it, and it tastes like mango concentrate- sweet with a little twang. I was a little grossed by it still being pulpy so I didn't take a big swallow.

Back