What's wrong with my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zam216

Reaction score
I just started growing a centennial and a cascade this year in 2 half whiskey barrels. In the beginning I was over watering my hops and got infested with fungus gnats all over the soil so I stopped watering for about a week to let the soil dry out. I was feeding them an organic fertilizer every Sunday as per directions and watering 2 other times than that. Now I haven't given them any fertilizer in about 3 weeks and only watering 1-2 times a week other than rain. The soil is nature's bounty organic potting soil with worm castings mixed in and I added some bone meal. They had a very fast start to about 8 feet but now the leaves are not looking good. Is it possibly the over watering, under watering, the fungus gnats or a deficiency? I did just buy beneficial nematodes to get rid of the fungus gnats larvae and will be putting that in shortly.

View attachment 1432320734811.jpg

View attachment 1432320750238.jpg

View attachment 1432320772876.jpg

Back