Get together for Boston area brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brewer

Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie, but have noticed that there seems to be a lot of folks in the Boston area. Anyone ever considering organizing a get together for people in the area so that we could all meet, share a beer, talk?

Let me know if there is any interest, and forgive me in advance if this has already been done and I am just late to the party.

Thanks,
Matt

There have been a lot of get-togethers out in the Western part of the state, southern VT, etc, including one at my place coming up on November 11th. It's a haul, but you're welcome to come join us!

I'm up for getting together out west, but I'm also onboard with any Boston area meet-ups and brew-togethers.
Also, the Extreme Beer Fest on Feb 15/16 is coming up --- would be kind of cool to meet up and do some drinking and critiquing with fellow HBTers.
Anyone know how to get tickets? The site says on sale today, Oct 29, but I can't get to a place where it lets me buy tickets. :(

If that brew day can be some time (weekend) after 19 Nov good chance I can get there!

Also, the British Beer Company on rte 1 in Walpole is a pretty awesome place, too. I haven't been out to the Horseshoe Pub.

I haven't been to either place but I'd show up. I'm sure either place would be happy to have a bunch of beer people in the middle of the week.

If you're trying to organize a brew-day, The Good Kaiser has asked to be kept in the loop, too. He's not going to be able to make it out to Yankee Ingenuity V (gonna be in Germany), but I know he wants to get together with people even though he doesn't show his face around here too much anymore...

With regards to the boston homebrewers meetup, I know about 2 or 3 other brewers in the Boston area, I don't know if they are up for a meetup but I will ask. In addition I have been waiting for meetup.com to come through with a boston area homebrew meetup. A link to the thread is here:
http://homebrew.meetup.com/cities/us/ma/jamaica_plain/

There is definately alot of interest, I myself am to busy to try and plan anything, but if you want to plan and need some help I am willing to make some effort.

OK, Heres what I'm thinking. I'm gonna tentatively offer a brew day at my place on Saturday, Nov 17th. I live in Stoughton, about 15 minutes south of the city off Rt 24. Mapquest it for more generalities.

I'm gonna do an all grain something, probably a Pre-prohibition American ale. Or maybe a single hop IPA. I don't know, I've got a few brews on the short list. One other guy plans on doing a PM. I've got a big enough driveway that there is room for multiple brews to happen at once. I have one cajun cooker with two gas bottles, I'm sure Chris will bring another burner for himself. I'd suggest if you want to brew bring your setup. Carboy, grainbill or DME, pot, burner and propane shouldn't take up too much of the back seat.

I'm always glad for an opportunity to break out the Smokersaurus so I'll make a few racks of ribs. If you want to eat, bring something and we'll do the beered down version of the Ladies Home Auxillary Bean Supper. I have a BBQ grill that's pretty good size but that will dedicate a propane bottle for some period of time.

The local HBS (The Witches Brew) is about 1/2 hour away and easy to find if you need any last minute, 'Oh ****, I forgot my hops' things. He's open noon to 5 on Saturdays.

Let me know if you are interested, I'll need to prep SHMBO'd to expect about how many.
I'm away for the weekend but I'll check in on Sunday.

And I think we should make this weather dependant. If we end up with a Noreaster like we're expecting later on today I'm scrubbing it. I don't have a garage (yet) and it would be pretty miserable to brew and drink in a monsoon. I've done it before and I'll do it again but it's not a lot of run. (Ok the drinking in the rain thing is fine, brewing in the rain isn't.)

I will PM directions and my cell number to anyone who's interested.

Time wise I'm thinking 1 o'clock-ish till we A. run out of beer or B. the cops come or C. it gets to be my bedtime, whichever comes first. I should have some more beer ready by then, I'm down to two kegs less than half full each at the moment, but I have stuff in the pipeline.

Paulthenurse

Paulthenurse,

Could a local inexperienced n00b come and watch, help, and pitch in in some way --bring some foodstuff, maybe...?

I am pretty good at taking photos, I could spend some time documenting each participant's success (or misadventures!).

Ditto here, I get back from a trip the night before and after 12 days away from the family I don't think they'll appreciate me tucking out for a full Saturday (also have evening plans already). Great to see some eastern-Mass collaboration happening though! Hope it goes great for all!

I am down for a brew day, I wouldn't want to transport all my AG stuff, but I could do an extract brew, and it would be cool to meet some other Boston brewers. Send me a message about the details, and let me know if this thing is on.

beergears said:
Paulthenurse,

Could a local inexperienced n00b come and watch, help, and pitch in in some way --bring some foodstuff, maybe...?

I am pretty good at taking photos, I could spend some time documenting each participant's success (or misadventures!).

Inexperienced N00bs are my favorite kind of people to brew with, they don't tell me I'm doing everything wrong. (Which I probably am, but I don't want to hear it.) So of course you are welcome.
PTN

Hey Paul, If you got room, i think i'm in. I have a friend that has some interest in brewing too. I'll give him a shout to see if he's around. He's a nurse and his hours are crazy...I don't think i'll have any homebrew ready, but i have some killer steaktips that would work great on that grill...And also if you need an extra tank for that grill. If that's cool, let me know. I've been wanting to see an all grain brew.

So far we have three guys from HBT coming; Beergears, Bulls Bears and friend, and myself makes four. I've got a few guys coming from the Witches Brew also. I'm going to be making a Bohemian Pils. I will have my keggerator up and running with two brews pouring. I'm fairly sure the crew from WB will be brewing. If anyone else is interested in coming we've got plenty of room. The more the merrier.

PTN

Probably not. I've only brewed in-house (extract). I've got 3 going right now, and don't have any equpment ie burner, wort chiller...

Bulls Beers said:
Probably not. I've only brewed in-house (extract). I've got 3 going right now, and don't have any equpment ie burner, wort chiller...

Burner won't be a problem unless you need to be somewhere at a given time, I'll let you use mine. Same thing with the wort chiller. If you brew yours while mine is mashing you're good to go. Same thing with the wort chiller, you can use mine. So all you'll really need to bring besides your ingrediants is a carboy to get the brew home afterwards. And an mug. On second thought, I've got plenty of them, too.

I'm the in next town over so I would have liked to meet you guys, however unfortunately I have other commitments. At least that's how SWMBO put it -- and I have to listen else my brewing and poker careers each take a hit.

If need be, since I am heading down to basementbrew-hah in providence for some stuff in the morning -- I could act as a last minute gopher and may be use the opportunity to meet you guys and hang for an hour or so.

Let me know and I'll pm my contact info.

Wait... maybe WE could put a show together for Paul's SWMBO, to thank her for her hospitality, and everything.

Paul, what's her musical taste?

{uhoh... I think I just blew my invite...!?}

Back