Yeast with distinct ester profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am looking for a yeast that could possibly add a touch of fruitiness to some of my beers. I brew a lot of pale ale, ipa and bitter and I typically have been using WLP007 and I love that yeast but I am looking to branch out into something a little more distinctive.

I am currenlty thinking that WLP023 (Burton Ale) looks like it might be a good choice.

Any suggestions?

Ferment that 007 up at 68-70 and you get tasty juicy fruit esters that go well with American hops. I have an ESB I just made with wlp005 and it has a great English ester character. I have a smack pack of 1768 English Special Bitter that Im going to make the same recipe with to test it out. It is a seasonal strain.

From Wyeast website:
"Similar to 1968, slightly less flocculent. Produces light fruit ethanol aroma. Mild malt with a neutral soft finish. Very clean.

I use wlp023 Burton in my dark mild. I like it alot more than so-4, which is the only other english yeast I've used.

No positive suggestions, but I would stay away from Wyeast 1098. Incredibly low flocculator, not a great ester profile for what I wanted either.

Burton Ale. Very fruity. I love it.

I am really leaning towards this one do try and develop a balanced pale ale or bitter recipe that is a little more interesting than usual.

however, I am always lookiing for other sugguestions, or even a strain I could harvest from a commercial example.

Back