Conical or Tank fermenter... pros and cons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so I am finding myself debating on weather I want to spend 1200 for a 42 gallon blichmann, or 600 for an 80 gallon wine fermenting tank.

The blichmann would be nice to dump trub and would not need to have the beer racked into another vessel until it was completed.

The wine tank would need to be put into a secondary, it will be extra work cleaning it but you can double your output and it is half of the cost.

So, what would you choose and why?

Would need to see a link or photo of the wine tank to make a valid comparison. 42 vs 80 seems a bit extreme of a size difference - why ?

Here is a link to the blichmann conical.

Here is the link to the stainless tanks. You will need to drop it down to the 300 liter (79gal). It is price at $575

Volume and budget are key here. We are going to start producing for a pub soon and we want the best we can get without too much debt. The tanks are cheaper than the conicals however it will require more labor to use. There is a larger volume as well though. I guess labor isnt that big of a deal since its all free. ( 2 man operation )

Based on your arguement, the stainless tanks are the way to go.. Labor isn't an issue and cost is. If you feel later that it's not as efficient as you may like, sell the tank for whatever loss and buy the blichmann..

One of the best parts of my Fermenator is the ease of harvesting yeast through the bottom dump.

Here is a combo of the 2. It is a wine tank with a conical bottom, and adjustable top. Its capacity is 79 gallons which is almost twice the blichmann and its $980 wich is almost 300 bucks less.

thoughts?

If you can get the wine tank for less money, it's larger and has a conical bottom that lets you dump then it sounds like a pretty simple choice.

If you can get the wine tank for less money, it's larger and has a conical bottom that lets you dump then it sounds like a pretty simple choice.

pretty much what I was thinking.. I just found it earlier today.

just depends on what it costs to freight 6 of them to a business in Indiana

Have you considered purchasing a used ss tank w/cone bottom?

There's a bunch of surplus tanks out there. here's one

It might warrant a call to heritage equip in Plain City.

just a thought. good luck to you.:mug:

You can tell him good luck in person on the 20th, Hugh_Jass (man that still makes me laugh)... Mirilis, I was was just going to shoot you a PM, but I'm here so... it looks like there will be an open spot for the tours on the 20th so if you want to attend just let me know.

...and did you say you're getting six of these? ...and brewing for a pub? I'm not sure I like you now. :D

It may also be worth shooting Forrest at austinhomebrew.com a PM. I know that he has to sell at least 1 42g conical every so often to keep on Blichmann's good side, so he may be willing to work with you on the price of multiple units.

Here is a link to the blichmann conical.

Here is the link to the stainless tanks. You will need to drop it down to the 300 liter (79gal). It is price at $575

Volume and budget are key here. We are going to start producing for a pub soon and we want the best we can get without too much debt. The tanks are cheaper than the conicals however it will require more labor to use. There is a larger volume as well though. I guess labor isnt that big of a deal since its all free. ( 2 man operation )

Ace 85 Gallon Biodiesel Tank / Wine Tank (A-IN0085-30)

I've owned several businesses over the years. My most profitable and successful ones were when I efficiently used my capital to the fullest by buying used or lower priced equipment that did the same thing as the more bling stuff. My 15 gallon plastic conical produces excellent beer, nobody knows or cares that it did not come from a stainless fermenter. Once your business starts generating a large cash flow and you can afford it - do an upgrade if you feel you need to. I would bet that many small brew pubs,etc. have SS out front and other fermenters in the back or in an undisclosed location.

btw - Labor is not free when the owners are providing it - you need to think different to be successful. Those hours you are putting in cost you in more ways than you can count now.

Ace 85 Gallon Biodiesel Tank / Wine Tank (A-IN0085-30)

My 15 gallon plastic conical produces excellent beer, nobody knows or cares that it did not come from a stainless fermenter. Once your business starts generating a large cash flow and you can afford it - do an upgrade if you feel you need to. I would bet that many small brew pubs,etc. have SS out front and other fermenters in the back or in an undisclosed location.

I couldn't agree more. Blichmann's are REALLY expensive and are intended for the overpriced hobby market. I know I would never buy one for a business and have also never seen one in any brew pub I've been in.

I bet you could contract a small fab company for this and come out significantly less in the hole.

I have considered that but the issue im running into is the same old argument of SS vs Plastic.. but I have to check Indiana brewing laws to make sure that we can even brew in plastic. I would think that if it were that easy then everyone would do it.

Good Idea though.. i will have to research it.

Back