Found Some Bottles in the Woods.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinky

Reaction score
I found 3 one gallon glass jugs in the woods of my friend's back yard. He just bought the house and doesn't know what they were used for, and there are no markings on the bottles other than 'ONE GALLON' on the side towards the top.

Top » Catalog » Equipment » Carboys/Buckets » 1 Gallon Jug »

These appear to be them but I'm not positive. I'm going to order the caps this website sells for them and see if they fit. Does anyone have suggestions for a different means to cap them if I'm unable to get screw caps? The opening is wider than most swing tops so I don't know if that'd work unless I made/modified my own. Also, is there a simple way to pressure test them before going ahead and filling them with beer?

They appear to be in perfect condition other than needing a serious scrub down and the finger handles are more than strong enough for carrying when filled with water.

What are you planning to use them for? If it's for fermenting small batches, then a bung/airlock will be sufficient.

I wouldn't use them to bottle beers in...more than likely they'd go boom.

I wouldnt reuse them, those bottles are also used to contain chemicals. You realy dont know what was in them, and if there not labled as growlers from a brewery, they probably didnt hold beer before hand.

I found 3 one gallon glass jugs in the woods of my friend's back yard. He just bought the house and doesn't know what they were used for, and there are no markings on the bottles other than 'ONE GALLON' on the side towards the top.

Top » Catalog » Equipment » Carboys/Buckets » 1 Gallon Jug »

These appear to be them but I'm not positive. I'm going to order the caps this website sells for them and see if they fit. Does anyone have suggestions for a different means to cap them if I'm unable to get screw caps? The opening is wider than most swing tops so I don't know if that'd work unless I made/modified my own. Also, is there a simple way to pressure test them before going ahead and filling them with beer?

They appear to be in perfect condition other than needing a serious scrub down and the finger handles are more than strong enough for carrying when filled with water.

Is the opening threaded like the one in the picture shown in the provided link?

If so, that's a standard 38/400 cap. I can help if you'd like some closures.

Feel free to p/m

Regards

i get 1 gallon jugs like that from local wing places they used to have franks red hot sauce in them i clean them sterilize them and put some dago red in them.lol they are worth there weight in gold around here with all the home winemakers who take donations for there holiday red (dago) wine:drunk:

After all that.........

If you're feeling lucky, I have always used the caps from juice bottles. The single serve ones you get at the C-Store. They have always fit and been good at holding gas for transport of beer.

When I do transport them, I always tape the cap. Prolly deosn't mean anything in the eyes of the law but, I figure if one day I do get pulled over at least I tried. No truncks in regular cab pickups you see. Lest you go all fancy and get the new dodge, ridgeline, etc...

I got some free 1 gallon jugs (known source/use), most without caps... try a milk jug cap, works fine on mine! (not used to hold pressure, normally holds star-san)

I really would not be surprised if these were used for moonshine at one point. I didn't find anything pointing directly to that as their use, but theres some circumstantial evidence. The "backyard" was actually a small old family farm on a back road a couple miles outside of any main town. There's clearly old trails that trucks used to drive on in the woods, and down in a small valley theres a bunch of junk where I found the bottles. Also, in the house theres coiled metal piping next to the wood stove that was supposedly a "pre-heating" device for hot water in the house. First thing I thought of when I saw it was distilling liquor.

It's just a neat thought I guess, to think thats what they were for.

BTW I can guarantee I'll use them at one point after properly being cleaned.

Guys, to hobos, the world is their urinal. They don't care about going into bottles, they'll just pee in the yard. Or a doorstop. Or into the hubcaps of a 1972 LeSabre.

I have better luck finding glass gallon wine jugs at the recycling center than I do beer bottles. Says something about the community, I suppose.

Are you telling me that because I'm not a hobo, that the world is NOT MY urinal? I beg to differ. It snowed last night, so I think I'll go out and write my formal objection.

Just out of curiosity, is there any known toxin out there that actually stains/infects glass?

Not having a clue what chemicals have been in them the only thing I'd use those jugs for is dumpster filling.

Not having a clue what chemicals have been in them the only thing I'd use those jugs for is dumpster filling.

That's the kind of thinking I'm wondering about. Unless something actually etches the glass, why won't a simple and thorough cleaning be sufficient?

It could be fine, it could not be. For the 5 dollars the bottle is worth I would rather have a new one just to be sure.

You fellas have raised my curiosity. Seems like everyone who's said they would not use them haven't mentioned anything specific that would not be possible to clean, it's simply a comfort or peace of mind thing.

Does anyone know of something that would be a serious health concern which could be in/on the bottles, and would not be taken care of after the bottles are cleaned and sterilized? I was under the impression that everything can be cleaned, and is a matter of being cleaned sufficiently.

They're just about done. I initially rinsed them out with soapy water to get the bulk of the dirt and grime out, then soaked in oxyclean, but only for a few hours. Got kinda lazy after that and haven't finished them up. Tomorrow I'm gonna give a good 24hr soak in oxyclean.

Also, the outside of one of them has some etching, looks like from a rock but really can't tell, and it's hardly noticeable. You can see it more than you can feel it. Should this be a concern as far as durability goes? I don't plan on putting anything in them under pressure, just curious. I can get some pics if anybody is interested.

This is the most I've ever gone through to recycle a few bottles, heh.

Latest posts

Back