What to grow for next year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardo

Reaction score
I have room for 5 more plants(maybe more:D). I have 1 Sunbeam Golden 4.5% alpha.
What should I get to have a well rounded supply of hops. I think I would like to grow Simcoe and Amarillo.

Chardo

Simcoe and amarillo are proprietary so you cannot get the rhizomes.

Personally I would go with Cascade and Centennial, but they are my favorite hops.

Yeah, it really depends on what hops you like to use, what is available and what types of beers you brew. No sense growing a type of hop you do not have much use for.

Decide what styles of beer you will brew most often - then plant the varieties most commonly used in those styles.

Consider a high alpha bittering hop as well. Nugget has done very well for me. Other home brewers I know have grown Magnum, Galena, or Chinook.

I guess a better question would what 5 or 6 varieties wold give the most flexibility.
I brew a wide range of beers Porters, Wheats, Kolsch, Belgian Ales, Brown Ales, IPAs, the occasional fruit beer, maerzen...

Chardo

Fuggles
Halertau
Goldings
Cascade
Centennial

Those would be my choices and would cover you for all the styles you mentioned.

Chinook did well for me this year. It was great to have a high AA hop to stretch the cascades and Willamette and get a couple more batches out of my homegrown. Great beer too.

I'm going through the same thing right now.... i have 3 varieties and want to add maybe two more. probably something with with i could brew German and Belgian styles. Its a good problem to have though. Gives me the excuse to do more reading build more garden beds and best of all brew more beer!

I curently have one each of cascade, centennial, mt. hood, and hallertau. Next year I'm propagating my mature cascade, and planting one more centennial rhizome. As far as expanding the selection, I plan on planting tettnanger, saaz, golding, and american high alpha (columbus, chinook).

When these are all producing the only thing I should need to buy will be amarillo and simcoe, unless I can find a west coast rhizome bandit. :D

The styles I currently like are: IPA, hefe-weizen, fruit wheat, american wheat, belgians, malty-ambers, light stouts. I'm pretty sure that I can keep myself satisfied in-house with eight hop varieties even if my tastes change.

Chinook did well for me this year. It was great to have a high AA hop to stretch the cascades and Willamette

Great idea.
I don't know much about the high alpha hops. How much flavor do hops have after the boil. I know early additions loose "most" of there aroma.
Does bitterness have a flavor:confused:

Chardo

I Have Cenntennial, Cascade and Hallerteau..

Plan to Add Colombus, Willamette, EKG..

I would love if I could find Summit as well but this is a new strain..so no gonna happen.

J

Chinook did well for me this year. It was great to have a high AA hop to stretch the cascades and Willamette

Great idea.
I don't know much about the high alpha hops. How much flavor do hops have after the boil. I know early additions loose "most" of there aroma.
Does bitterness have a flavor:confused:

Chardo

You're asking the wrong guy really.... I'm still a novice brewer. The first Chinook i brewed with were my home grown, but there did seem to be a taste, distinct from the cascades. this could be too much steeping grain but i do think a little of it could be attributed to the Chinook as well. It mellowed as the beer aged and this became quite a brew.

I'm a much more experienced gardener than brewer and when i picked up the rhizome, it was with the knowledge that a high AA hop might serve me well, but the choice of Chinook over another given variety was pure guess work on my part.

Back