Cost of All-Grain Vs. Extract!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: I already have a 5g cooler that I could possible use. Is this large enough for a 5.5g batch?

Using Ed's Haus Pale Ale I would need a total of 10.5# of grain, and 3.5g of water in the MLT. Is a 5g large enough for all that? If so...I'm going to Lowe's and getting my hardware today!

TwoHeadsBrewing said:
Question: I already have a 5g cooler that I could possible use. Is this large enough for a 5.5g batch?

Using Ed's Haus Pale Ale I would need a total of 10.5# of grain, and 3.5g of water in the MLT. Is a 5g large enough for all that? If so...I'm going to Lowe's and getting my hardware today!
Yes.

I did up to 14# grain bills in my 5-gallon before moving up to 10-gallon batches.

InsideSetupA.jpg

A five gallon cooler will hold about 12 pounds of grain + strike water. If you find you need a bigger MLT later you can just buy a 10 gallon and transfer your fittings.

Kick a$$...I'm going to lowe's...then to the LHBS for my grain bill! AG this weekend, :rockin: !!! Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back