importance of CO2 line ID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks. I am building a multi keg manifold. I have some brass fittings 3/8", braided PVC 1/2"ID and some 3/8" ID braided PVc sitting around begging to be used. The braided line say 275WP(i don't know what this means). I am certain it can handle the gas line pressure after the regulator. Does the ID thickness have any importance other than fitting onto the valves? Normal gas lines are 1/4" or 5/16". If I remember the old pressure laws, ID should not change pressure. Am I thinking correctly? What would be the drawbacks from a larger ID? Thanks Charlie

I dont think the size will really matter all that much with gas. With beer you are concerned about the flow rate at what pressure. With gas there really isn't any need for a huge pipe going into the keg. It may fill up slower initially, but in short order the pressure will be equalize to whatever the regulator is set at. A TINY gas line will easily be able to maintain pressure inside the keg while you pull off multiple brews. CO2 expands quite a bit when its depressurized coming out of the tank.

Back