carbonating in plastic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dheide

Reaction score
My first batch has been carbonating in plastic liter bottles for a week now. Some of the bottles are hard, some are still a little soft, and a few are even softer. I was wondering if it's normal for bottles to carbonate at different rates? Also, how much leeway do I have with the priming sugar? As I was pouring the sugar into the bottles, I lost a little down the sides on a couple. Would that little bit that I lost create much of a reduction in carbonation? Just a few questions from a rookie.

Dave

From what little I've done w/plastic bottles, the ones you lost sugar down the sides may take longer to carbonate. But I'd definately double check the caps and make sure they are good and tight and not letting the pressure leak out.

i suppose losing some sugar would slow it down, a little takes what? about 1 tbsp, how much did you lose a few grains or half of it? i bought a small funnel ;) with the mr beer kits they instruct adding table sugar directly to the bottle then gently shaking bottkle after bottling to dissolve the sugar. another guess would be if you let the brew set for longer than a week if it was just a straight kit or past two most of the yeast may have settled, then when you bottled the bottles towards the end, presumably from the brew at the top of the keg wouldn't have had as much yeast, so they would carbonate slower. i think i read if you have a kit thats set awhile, bottle the first bottle and divide that brew into all your bottles to spread the yeast rich brew from the bottom of the keg so all bottles get a good dose. dont forgetto prime that first bottle when you go to fill it up after spreading the yeast around.

Denny's Brew said:
It's always better to transfer your beer to a bottling bucket or carboy with the disolved sugar added before bottling.

This also does away with the first-bottle-has-less-yeast dilemma.:)

I always transfer to a food grade bucket and add sugar mix in the pail before bottling ,I also installed a tap on the side at the bottom of the pail for easy bottle filling ,mark the caps each time of use and only use them 3 times than get new ones,I found that if i use them more than 3 times the seal gets week and some bottles leak

homebrewer_99 said:
You should always dissolve your sugar in warm water, boil for 5 mins then add to the bottling bucket, stir.

Adding sugar to individual bottles is NOT the way to go.

What is a "bottling bucket"? I have a Mr. Beer kit, so I only have the one keg and then bottles. From what I've read in other posts, I'm assuming a "bottling bucket" is what it sounds like, I tap out all of the beer into a bucket, add the disolved sugar/water, and then pour that into the bottles?

Thanks for all the help!
Dave

dheide said:
What is a "bottling bucket"? I have a Mr. Beer kit, so I only have the one keg and then bottles. From what I've read in other posts, I'm assuming a "bottling bucket" is what it sounds like, I tap out all of the beer into a bucket, add the disolved sugar/water, and then pour that into the bottles?

Thanks for all the help!
Dave

It's usually a 6 gallon food grade bucket. With or without a spigot on it. Comes with a lid and can also be used for a primary fermenter if you attach an airlock to the lid.

Back