Wort volume after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pryopen

Reaction score
Hi all....I just started my first batch a couple of days ago and obviously have to make my first post to see if all is well with the brew.

I decided to save some money in the long term and bought a 10 gal kettle and start with a full boil. And thanks to all the info on here, I feel everything went well and I adjusted the hops for the full boil. The only problem I am worried about is not being able to maintain a good vigorous boil on my gas stovetop using 2 burners. I started with 6.5 gal initial volume that I finally decided on after reading posts. It took awhile to but I was able to get a good rolling boil, although I was unable to keep it going uncovered. I would leave the lid on partially to heat it back up but was hesitant to leave on too long to let the sulfur compounds boil off. After the boil I poured 5.5 gal into fermenter and had about 0.5 gal left over, maybe a little more, and the trub. The OG was 1.041-1.042, while the recipe predicted for 1.047. My fermenter is now sitting at 63-64 deg and started bubbling at about 18 hours post boil.

The waiting is going to suck.....but in the meantime I was just wondering how my beer may be affected by not boiling off the extra volume. Thanks

Don't worry, it'll be fine. Also, take this opportunity to pick up a propane turkey fry kit in post Thanksgiving day sales. They'll set you back 20-40 bucks on sale and will get you to a boil faster and more consistently.

Until you get the turkey fryer, wrap the pot in a couple of layers of aluminum foil.leave the lid on until it starts to boil then remove the lid.

You should always try for 6 gal post boil. 5.5 clear wort in fermenter 5 in kegs. Sometimes on my choppy beers I still need an additional .5 gal.
Also personal on my stove when I took off the circle piece that spreads the flame out my boils got more vigorous.

Until you get the turkey fryer, wrap the pot in a couple of layers of aluminum foil.leave the lid on until it starts to boil then remove the lid.

Thanks, I tried this on my 2nd brew this weekend and it worked really well. I was able to boil off more volume this time and didn't end up with much extra like on my 1st batch.

"I took off the circle piece that spreads the flame out my boils got more vigorous." ZamaMan

I tried this also but could not ignite my burner without the dispersion plate.

Back