Carrots in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
So I made an Old Peculier clone this summer. One of the ingredients is treacle sugar (beet sugar). I smelled it and tasted it before I put it in the boil and moved on.

Several days later I was eating a carrot and I chewed on that carrot until a lot of the sweetness came out. Then it hit me, I wonder what some carrot sugar or syrup would be like in a porter.

Anyone done anything like this? I am not planning on doing anything with this idea for a while but I mostly just wanted to talk about it. :mug:

I think this is an interesting idea...i'll have to go chew on some carrots a while. If nothing else, it should providesome nice color.

i would think just making a cereal mash to gelatinize sum of the starches and throw it in the mash... what % would be the question for color and sum flavor... i would say a good start would be 15% of the grist...

Maybe roast them to soften them up then put them in the mash? Or maybe boil them in a little water then add the whole thing to the boil?

I know some say pumpkin has to be added to the mash to get the sugars and flavor out. Maybe carrots are the same? Just thinking here.

http://***********/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/104-india-pale-ale/2301-24-carrot-ipa

that recipe looks good

I had an ipa made with lots of sweet potatoes, it wad really good. I could imagine the carrots would lend and earthy flavor. Should be good

Back