You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you're a real hard core home brewer when you have 3 major breakdowns during the night at work. Then at the end of your shift you come out to a flat tire on your truck. You go through the B.S. of getting that dealt with. Get home an hour late. Tell SWHMBO the story, (still way mad as hell), go to your beer room, hit that tap and fill yer mug. Then you realize after a few minutes that your blood pressure has dropped, tensions have go away, and you've been thinking but home brewing since you've entered the beer room. All is right with the world again, and the, "Tire incident", wasn't that bad at all!:ban:

pb --- other that cutting into my beer time. (grumble, grumble)

When you dont brew and you miss it. Absence makes the brewers heart grow fonder.:D Then you come back with a brewing vengance!

Or.. When you pour a very good commercial beer and later you wife trys and asks "Did you make that?", then you just grin and say no. I also have a step-dad that had first tried a NewGlarus spotted cow offered from my brother in law. And after drinking it he says "This tastes like one of your homebrews" I was pretty flattered, think he was refering to some of my wheat beers I gave him maybe. Or else he was (really) like... I dont like this ****, give me a Bud Select55.

You know you're a homebrewer when you'd be pissed that SWMBO didn't know whether or not that was the sixer/bomber you just bought at the store or if it was your homebrew...just sayin' the wife knows what I brew.:rockin:

I haven't had a floppy drive in years. Whish they still had sub battle simulator for the PC...

I'm sure you can find something. If not, get the old file, and run a virtual machine using VMWare player and whatever OS needed.

I kinda laugh about the floppy. I just bought the new MacBook Pro that came out Tuesday. They don't come with an optical drive anymore. Soon we'll be saying the same thing about CDs and DVDs.

I'm sure you can find something. If not, get the old file, and run a virtual machine using VMWare player and whatever OS needed.

I kinda laugh about the floppy. I just bought the new MacBook Pro that came out Tuesday. They don't come with an optical drive anymore. Soon we'll be saying the same thing about CDs and DVDs.

You could use VMWare but it might be a little excessive. DOSBOX works great for emulating and running older DOS games.

If anyone hasn't heard (and it seems relevant), www.gog.com has a huge amount of older video games (1980's and up) that are fixed so that they run on newer machines (XP/Vista/7/8/Mac) using DOSBox and other fixes to the software.

might need a DOS emulator, but you can get one at that site

You could use VMWare but it might be a little excessive. DOSBOX works great for emulating and running older DOS games.

If anyone hasn't heard (and it seems relevant), www.gog.com has a huge amount of older video games (1980's and up) that are fixed so that they run on newer machines (XP/Vista/7/8/Mac) using DOSBox and other fixes to the software.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really loved that game,as my father was a Seabee in the Phillipines in WWII. Shot down a lot of Zero's with the 20,30 & 40mm cannons of the day. I used to have the Color Computer version that was great fun! Once I slammed 6 torpedoes into the Yamato broadside. Ripped it from neck to nuts...Gunna get the game & software on retiree payday! This'll be great with some homebrews! Yahaar,ya crack handed deck apes!!:D

You know you're a homebrewer when you'd be pissed that SWMBO didn't know whether or not that was the sixer/bomber you just bought at the store or if it was your homebrew...just sayin' the wife knows what I brew.:rockin:

True(sometimes). But if you can brew a beer better than something like a Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast.Than hook me up with the recipe.:mug: :p

you know your a home brewer when your driving down the street, see a smashed pumkin in the road, get out and pick it up because all you have been thinking about were recipe's one of whitch was pumkin ale! lol

you know your a home brewer when your driving down the street, see a smashed pumkin in the road, get out and pick it up because all you have been thinking about were recipe's one of whitch was pumkin ale! lol

Ha ha. Road kill Pumpkin ale.:cross: With a nice robust flavor of tar and rubber.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really loved that game,as my father was a Seabee in the Phillipines in WWII. Shot down a lot of Zero's with the 20,30 & 40mm cannons of the day. I used to have the Color Computer version that was great fun! Once I slammed 6 torpedoes into the Yamato broadside. Ripped it from neck to nuts...Gunna get the game & software on retiree payday! This'll be great with some homebrews! Yahaar,ya crack handed deck apes!!:D
DOSBOX is free. So is brewtarget. Opensource software FTW. :rockin:

Thanks. Wishin it was next Friday now. Looks like I might be racking the stout onto the bourbon oak chips next tuesday or wednesday. Sighted beer,sank same...:ban:

You're extra careful with your hydrometer because the official broken hydrometer count is getting close to 1000 and you don't want to be that guy

russrob81 said:
You're extra careful with your hydrometer because the official broken hydrometer count is getting close to 1000 and you don't want to be that guy

I broke my 1st one this week. I thought I remembered seeing a thread like that around here but didn't feel like looking it up. Too depressed. ;-)

I broke my 1st one this week. I thought I remembered seeing a thread like that around here but didn't feel like looking it up. Too depressed. ;-)

Ugh. Yeah, I'm sure I don't hold the record, but I don't want to post my #'s for the "Hydrometer graveyard".

Plastic/Metal hydrometer? Inventors? Anyone?

MaxStout said:
No one wants to make an unbreakable hydrometer. No repeat business.

Well, mine at least seems to be unbreakable. I'm still using the first one I bought 8 yrs ago.

They are, they are also more precise than the cheapo hydrometers we use as homebrewers. They are a tad pricey I suppose but you get what you pay for when it comes to lab equipment

If I'm drunk when my tax refund hits the bank next year,... I might pull the trigger on it. But I doubt I could do it sober.

Between my cheap hydrometers and Beersmith, I'll manage just fine until I win one in a drawing here. :D

pb

If I'm drunk when my tax refund hits the bank next year,... I might pull the trigger on it. But I doubt I could do it sober.

Between my cheap hydrometers and Beersmith, I'll manage just fine until I win one in a drawing here. :D

pb

Haha unlikely to come up in a giveaway, they are geared more towards actual lab work than brewing. That said I'll keep my set of precision hydrometers, haven't broken one yet, but when I do I know it'll be the one I use most.

Haha unlikely to come up in a giveaway, they are geared more towards actual lab work than brewing. That said I'll keep my set of precision hydrometers, haven't broken one yet, but when I do I know it'll be the one I use most.

Actually, I can see getting one if I go a year or two without breaking the ones I have.

Still,... I'll have to be drinking beer, and have the money in the beer budget.

A buddy of mine has a nice set. each for different ranges, and he's busted one. He's been a pro brewer for like 17 years. So yes, I'm a long ways from hitting the, "add one now button".

pb

Back