Re-hydrating dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togodoug

Reaction score
Re-hydrating dry yeast. I now some guys who don’t bother, just pitch the dry yeast into the wort and cover it up.
I’m having real issues with a sour, astringent after taste. I’ve tries different yeasts, different water and still have the same taste no matter what the recipe.
I’m wondering now if its bacteria, although I sanitize everything with one-step.
I wonder if it is sanitation, re-hydration is just one more step and opportunity to mess up and get bacteria in the wort. So should I just skin that step??

rehydratoin is important, or you will need twise the amount of yeast
Do you boil the water before rehydrating?

Do you use AG PG or extract
If AG or PG what temperature do you sparge at?

I would definitely not skip rehydrating. If they aren't rehydrated the yeast can get shocked by the wort and you end up losing many viable cells.

extract. Sparge at room temp, about 85 degrees.

I used the dry stuff on my last brew. It said on the package to just sprinkle it right in, so I did. It look like 48 before I saw bubbles. Ill probably try rehydrating next time but for my first go I figured following directions was a good idea.

Sorry, I meant to say re-hydrate at room temp 80 - 85 degrees

Back