Northern Brewer's German Alt = TASTY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
I've never had a commercial example of an Alt, or been to Dusseldorf (I wish), so I have no idea if I'm to style other than comparing with BJCP tasting notes. I get a lot of sweet, caramelly malt and maybe even dark fruit/raisin in the nose? It actually reminds me of a darker Belgian, minus the Belgian yeast characteristics. There's a solid bitterness there but I think most of the actual hop flavor/aroma has faded with time. It's crystal clear from the lagering.

Has anyone else brewed this particular recipe? Am I on target with what I'm tasting? It's a really, really nice beer and I went from being unsure of whether I'd brew it again to seriously anticipating every next pint. Highly recommended, whether or not I brewed it correctly!

I've never made one but it sounds like you made an awesome beer.

Sam Adams Boston Ale (not the Boston Lager) is an alt beer but probably not nearly as good as a beer willing to be labeled "alt".

I've never made one but it sounds like you made an awesome beer.

Sam Adams Boston Ale (not the Boston Lager) is an alt beer but probably not nearly as good as a beer willing to be labeled "alt".

It's an ALT? That is news to me. I'd call it an english ale. Likely an English stock type ale. Since they use english malts and hops and cellar the beer.:mug:

Anyway- sounds like OP made a good Alt. I am about ready to brew one up in the next few days. I am hoping it turns out well!

I'm guessing your talking about the all-grain version?

I enjoy a good alt. I might make one with the last of my two sacks of grain. 50:50 Castle Pils and Castle Munich malt. Bittered with Magnum and finished with Spalt.

Actually this was extract w/ steeping grains - waiting on my false bottom to arrive before I can do my all-grain Patersbier.

I also want to try the super alt recipe... mmm. Good luck with your brew @jlpred55!

Actually this was extract w/ steeping grains - waiting on my false bottom to arrive before I can do my all-grain Patersbier.

I also want to try the super alt recipe... mmm. Good luck with your brew @jlpred55!

Here is my recipe for my ALT. First go at it as I have never brewed the style

42 IBU
13 SRM
Single Decoction or Step Mash, haven't decided.

5.5 gals

LBS
5.0 Weyerman Munich Type I
4.5 Weyerman Pils
.5 Caramunich 2
.25 Melanoidin
.125 Carafa II

Equal hopping amounts
90 min Spalt
30 min Spalt

WY 1007

BTW that Patersbier is awesome. I've brewed it many times with slight tweaks and it has always been excellent. I like it best with all Saaz hops. I've never used anything but 100% Pils Malt. I have switched up yeast (from the Westmalle) and tried the Achouffe yeast, Duvel Yeast, Chimay yeast. All were very good though quite different. Some were cleaner and some had more belgian character.

plakat_BevorEsAltWird_373.jpg

Best ad-campaign ever.

That said, I haven't had an Alt in about 17 years, but I brewed one just last week. I'll have to head out to Orlando and pick up some from Knightly Spirits to compare.

Here is my recipe for my ALT. First go at it as I have never brewed the style

42 IBU
13 SRM
Single Decoction or Step Mash, haven't decided.

5.5 gals

LBS
5.0 Weyerman Munich Type I
4.5 Weyerman Pils
.5 Caramunich 2
.25 Melanoidin
.125 Carafa II

Equal hopping amounts
90 min Spalt
30 min Spalt

WY 1007

BTW that Patersbier is awesome. I've brewed it many times with slight tweaks and it has always been excellent. I like it best with all Saaz hops. I've never used anything but 100% Pils Malt. I have switched up yeast (from the Westmalle) and tried the Achouffe yeast, Duvel Yeast, Chimay yeast. All were very good though quite different. Some were cleaner and some had more belgian character.

Sweet. My recipe is 100% Belgian Pils, Tradition & Saaz w/ the Westmalle strain. I'm looking forward to brewing it but it's going to be cold as balls outside when I do.

This was my first homebrew and I cracked open my first bottle last night. I coworker had made a batch of this a while back and it was great. Mine is still a little green, but overall I'm very happy with it, even after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Received dozens of responses to questions I had during the process and appreciate all the help from those on this site. I've got an English Oatmeal Stout sitting in the primary now and I can't wait to bottle it and move on to the next batch.

Back