Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffmann808

Reaction score
I would like to make a knock off of the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, but had a few questions...

Is there a way I could go about making this from extract? I found a recipe that called for:
Briess Pilsner 6 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Pale Wheat 5 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Munich 0 lbs, 8 oz
but didnt know how this would translate to extract.

Also, if I got the Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 yeast pack from Austin Homebrew and also collected some of the yeast from the bottom of the bottles of Kellerweis, would I be able to mix the two and have a good Kellerweis flavor?

Still pretty new to homebrewing, so any help would be appreciated, and please forgive if these are stupid questions.

Thanks in advance.

you can just get "wheat" extract, they are usually in the 60 (pils/2row) : 40 (wheat) range or vise versa, which will get you close enough for what you're shooting for. you could just steep the caramunich. i can't do the exact math right now, but just use an online calculator or something to determine how much extract you'd need to get the same starting gravity as the recipe you listed above. i would probably just go with the 3068 and not worry too much about harvesting any yeast from the bottle at this point. it will still get you pretty close. just don't ferment that yeast too warm or it will be bananas up the yin yang.

Thanks Android. I think between me and the guys at AHS we can get it figured out for sure. I emailed them and Lockwyn answered me and told me that the banana and clove flavors likely come from the yeast and fermenting warmer than normal. Also, the creamy smoothness likely comes from the grain and adjuncy selection and possibly with a slight contribution from open fermentation.

So the grain selection is likely vital to the recipe, so I wonder if it can be done using extract or mini mash? Also, what do you think he means by slightly warmer than normal? I read some posts on HBT and it seems that open fermentation can be done once the beer has really started to ferment, namely by cracking the lid on the fermenter...could this be viable for this beer?

Thanks!

Where does it say SN Kellerweise uses carmel munich or cara munich type malts? I see regular munich listed on the SN website.

They use a yeast that's from some smaller brewery in Germany, if you can harvest some from a bottle and build it up in a sanitary way that'll get you closer. They definitely use open fermenters, this increases ester production but that's in comparison to a Cylindroconical fermenter that generally decreases esters unless fermented warmer. You'll probably be pretty close with harvested yeast and some dry wheat extract fermented ~65ish, maybe try some a small amount of steeped caramunich as actual munich malt requires a mash.

Back