Need help with mash schedule.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I'm about to do my 3rd all grain, the instructions aren't as spelled out as the two Ed Wort recipes I've tried so was hoping to get a little help.

I plan on brewing tomorrow with the following Mash Profile: (Recipe)
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 16.00 lb
Sparge Water: 4.68 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Saccharification Add 20.00 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

The recipe has 16lb of grain. My understanding for this schedule is to heat 4.58gal/18.72qt of water to 168F and add the grain. This is close to 1.25qt/lb ratio. At this point, do I mash for 60 min?

The second step, the Saccharification; to add 20qt of 170.5F of water for 40 min, is this a 60min + 40min mash? Sorry, just a little confused.

Thanks -

Actually the first step is the scarification rest where conversion takes place. From my reading I think it says to mash at 158 but that is higher than most but most unheard of.Someone else will be along as well to help. Are you batch sparging? How much pre boil do you need to reach your final wort volume?

Batch sparging. I'd like to end up with 5.5gal final volume, prob get about 1 gal/hr boil off.

EDIT: I've been looking at Beer Smith and wondering if this is right:

1: Bring 20qt to 170.5F, mash at 158.0 for 40 min (Saccharification)
2: Vorlauf
3: Add the 4.68gal at 168.0F and Batch Sparge, collect runnings to get my boil volume

I think seeing the instructions with the Saccharification (thanks, I just looked this term up) second and the sparge first.

Thanks -

It really depends what you want..Do you want it dry? Then mash lower, 148-151. Do you want more body? then mash at a higher temp say 154-156.

Saccarification rest is first. In a single infusion, go for 60 mins. Then sparge. I would use sparge water that is at least 180*. this will help you maximize your efficiency.

Sounds like you will need around 7 to 7.5 gallons of wort pre boil depending on how much you leave behind in the kettle. Determine how much wort you collect after the first runnings and then you will know how much sparge water you need to get to your final volume. A lot of brewers split the sparges into 2 infusions.The first one is hotter at around 185 to raise the grain bed temperature. The 2nd one at around 168-170.

I would go the full hour for the mash rest just to be sure all is converted. Let us know how it goes.

I ended up mashing in 5 gal (20 qt) @ 168F - strike (154F mash temp - I had to add some ice cubes to get down to 154F) for 60 min. Vorlauf (~2.5-3 gal). Added in another 5 gal @ 169F to get a total of 7 gal.

I have left-over wort, time to make next weekends starter?

Now that I've done it it seems so simple. Thanks for the help, especially on chat this morning! :mug:

Back