Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm starting to get requests to brew for friends who have their own bars, which is a pretty good feeling, as many of you undoubtedly are aware. Anyway, I want to make it look "commercial" so I was thinking about getting a filter so I can make it extra clear. I know you can simply add Irish Moss, which helps, but I want to get as much of the stuff out as possible. I was looking at the basic water filter, with the different size cartridges, but I wasn't sure that would be best. I also saw a plate filter, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to adjust the micron sizes (i.e. if it's a witbier, I don't want to take all the yeast out, just the big particles of hops, etc.)

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Brew strong just did a great show about this subject

The Brewing Network.com - :

On this episode of Brew Strong, Jamil and John Palmer, along with Tasty McDole, cover the process and finer points of filtering your beer. They discuss why you want to filter, and why you would not, what results you can expect, what changes take place, and how to do it on a homebrew scale.

Slightly OT, but make sure you check into the legalities of offering your homebrew for sale at your buddy's bars. Could be detrimental to both of you if you don't have the proper licensing. I know here in Missouri, I can't sell me brew to anyone without a Microbrewers license. I don't know what state you're in, but just offering up some friendly advice that might save you some heartache in the future! :)

Assuming you get the proper licenses (good luck) - don't filter! Most of the great micros are NOT filtered for a reason - there's so much nummy taste in what gets filtered out. Irish moss in the boil, cold crash before kegging, bottle from the keg - you'll have crystal clear beer WITH taste. Bottle conditioned commercial beers are clear as well - as long as they are poured properly...

Hahaaa... Who said anything about selling? :)

They simply buy the recipe, and I make it, but I get the idea, I can't actually sell the product.

Thanks for the replies.

Patience is all that is needed for crystal clear home brew, and a little pouring knowledge or kegging knowledge.

Back