Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have one brew under my belt, still in primary though....

Anyway, the addiction is taking hold! What is a good book to read to learn more about this stuf? In particular, I am looking for something that will help me understand how to craft my own beer. I don't really want to have to go by instructions of kits all the time. I would like to venture out and be able to go to the lhbs and pick out the ingredients I want/need.

Brew on!

There are lots of good books out there. I would say anything by Papazian is good but many of them are stories about beer not the actual process, but they do have recipes in the back, both all grain and extract.

A suggesstion from a fellow newbie, don't venture out quite yet. Get a few basic brews under your belt, get the process down, do research on hops, grains, and yeasts, find what you think you will like then create your own. I would say after about +5 basic brews you will be ready.

But I'm not tellin you what to do except for have fun!

I've read Palmer's but need more info on hops, grains, and different yeasts. That is the type of book I'm looking for. I know I need to know much more about these things before understanding what would need to go into a succesful batch.

I will def. do some more basic brews for awhile, but I want to start getting the knowledge.

"Drinkswellwithothers" Thanks - that book looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW...

I'm still a newbie, but I started out with one kit. then brewed a single batch per a recipe. right after that one, I began modifying that recipe based on my taste preferences and increasing knowledge.

(still working on that recipe, but getting closer!)

1. How to Brew, Palmer
2. Designing Great Beers, Daniels
3. Brew Like a Monk, Hieronymus

Those 3 give you the jump-start on basics and beer design. Radical Brewing and Brewing Classic Styles would be #4 and 5.

From another Noob ..

How to Brew by palmer

Joy of Homebrewing by papazian

Extreme brewing by calgionne(sp?)

FWIW

sleepy

I am also a brewing noob...

If you have a Kindle, check out 640 Thirst Quenching Beer Brewing Recipes by Jill King. It's only $0.96 and I figure if it has 1 or 2 decent recipes, it is worth the price. I have just skimmed through the book but it has extract, partial mash and all grain recipes and the items look like the right amounts....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back