full boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I just bought a Midwest Belgian Tripple kit.. In the instructions, it says to boil 4-5 gal... I don't quite have that capability. I normally do 2 with not much trouble, but my stove can't handle more than that... Should I separate the batch into 2 or make a 2 gal batch? Also, the yeast that came with it says its good for a OG of 1.060, but the kit says OG should be 1.078-1.080.. Is this a problem? Its a Wyeast kit, but not sure which number off hand.

The partial boils I do are usually 3 or 4 gallons. If you can boil 3 gallons, I'm sure you'll be fine. 2 gallons is less than half of your batch.

If you end up with 1.08, that definitely qualifies as a big beer. One option would be to make a starter with your yeast, basically giving it a head-start and propagating more working yeast cells.

I have a red ale that will be coming out of primary this weekend I hope... Its a completely different yeast... That one has Nottingham. Would it be possible to re-use either part or all of the yeast cake?

Back