Oatmeal Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a typical middle of the road recipe for this and its related OG and FG numbers to be expected..roughly.
Something I can work with.
Anyone have one they like?

Found one that I am modifying. Going with this:
13# 2-Row
1.5# Flaked Oats
1.5# Crystal 90
1.0# Chocolate
.75# Roasted
.25# BLack Patent
1# Semi dried blueberries into secondary. Probaby equivilent to about 2# when hydrated.

WL0001

.75oz AA Northern Brewer 9% for 60
.25oz AA Northern Brewer 9% for 10
(looking for similar for substitutes as I don't think I can get these at my LHBS)

I havent crunched the numbers but I am shooting for around 1.100 and finishing at about 03 or even 04. and about 25-30 IBUs

Feedback is welcomed, yes I know it will be quite strong and finish pretty sweet but I have made a 1.14 Impy before and I liked that it petered out at about 1.05.

Check out the recipe in my sig, if you've looking for a mini-mash version. Pretty smooth and delicious.

A recipe from a friend; the beer was a little sweet with mild hops and not as much body as I would have liked--but definitely tasty.

7.5# 2-row
0.5# Crystal 55L
0.5# chocolate
0.5# flaked oats, toasted
0.25# roasted barley
2 oz Kent Goldings @ 60
Wyeast 1084
bottled with 1-1/4 cup wheat DME

OG around 1.050; IBU 30

Post up with the results of your brew; I'm just brewed up an oatmeal stout which was a modification of this one...(extract modification--I'm not all-grain yet).

Marc.

Here's one I'm drinking now - it's great! I'll definately make it again, without changing a thing.

My guess is the recipe you posted will be quite strong and not very "middle of the road" for an oatmeal stout, but if that's how you like your stouts, then go for it.

9.0# 2-row
1.5# flaked oats
1.0# crystal 40L
0.5# chocolate
0.5# roasted

E.K. Goldings, 2 oz for 60 min (32 IBUs)

O.G. 1.050, F.G. 1.012
yeast: Nottingham

Dang - just popped in to read about oatmeal stouts and ran into Cheesefood's latest avatar - so much for concentration!

So I finally gave in and brewed up a batch of oatmeal stout. In primary, the fermentation really took off and could have used a blowoff. At secondary, you can really taste the toasted oats and roasted barley. I'm priming with DME to get a little more body and head. I'll keep ya posted.

Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout

1/2 lb flaked oats, toasted
1/2 lb C-60
1/2 lb chocolate
1/4 lb roasted barley
5.75 lb M&F light DME

2 oz Kent Goldings (4.1%aa) @ 60 min

1 tsp Irish moss

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

bottle with 1.25 cp M&F wheat DME
OG around 1.055
FG around 1.015

I just cooked up the G&G oatmeal kit from thegrape.net. It came with...

3lbs light DME
3lbs wheat DME
3.5lbs roasted barley
1lbs cracked oats
unknown hops
Nottinghams yeast

I made 5.5 gallons. The wort tasted really smooth. I'm really looking forward to this one. It measured OG 1.052 and REALLY took off last night. Within an hour or so I saw bubbling, and this morning the air lock was going at about 4 bubbles a second. That nottignhams is a screamer!

Oh My Oatmeal Stout Recipe (Tried and true) This recipe is for a 20 gallon all grain batch. I toasted my flaked oats in the oven at 350' until it started to smell like cookies and slightly brown.
OG 1.053
FG 1.015
33# Crisp maris otter pale
1.5# Weyermann Caramunich 3
1# Weyermann Carabohemian
1# Crisp chocolate malt
1#Briess cara foam
1# Hugh baird black malt
1# flaked oats toasted to perfection
Mash at 150' 50min
2 oz Nugget hops 90 min
2 oz willamette hops 10 min
2 oz willamette hops 5 min
American ale yeast, or london from y yeast works great. Enjoy

Quick question about oatmeal stouts:

I am a beginner and have only made five batches of beer. All of them just seem a bit "thin", or not enough body. If you guys have ever been to Europe and tried a non-pasteurized Guinness, you'll know what I'm talking about. I guess an American Guinness Draught comes close in body, but not flavor. How do I get that body? Does oatmeal help?

Oatmeal can help, but mash temp plays a bigger role. If you're mashing at 150-151*F, it will be lighter bodied, while 152-154*F will be fuller. 153*F is a great mash temp for an oatmeal stout to get a bigger mouthful.

Oatmeal can help, but mash temp plays a bigger role. If you're mashing at 150-151*F, it will be lighter bodied, while 152-154*F will be fuller. 153*F is a great mash temp for an oatmeal stout to get a bigger mouthful.

Thanks man, that's good to know. What is the highest recommended temperature for "cooking" the mash? I am going for the fullest body possible. Also, is there anything else that assists with creating a fuller body?

Thanks man, that's good to know. What is the highest recommended temperature for "cooking" the mash? I am going for the fullest body possible. Also, is there anything else that assists with creating a fuller body?

I've mashed full bodied beers at 158 with good results.

Ingredients play a huge part in body and head retention. I'd suggest some flaked barley (great for head retention), and plenty of malt. Specialty malts can help with perceived body, too, like crystal malts. Yeast can also play a role in the mouthfeel and perceived body.

I really like the body and mouthfeel of my oatmeal stout recipe (posted on the left, under my avatar).

Just brewed my first oatmeal this afternoon.

9lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
1lb chocolate
.5lb black patent
.5lb roasted barley
1lb quick oats
.75oz northern brewer 60 min
.50oz northern brewer 30 min
.25oz northern brewer @ shutoff

OG = 1.077

I'm hitting higher OG's lately and cake bombed this batch onto another batch that I racked into secondary (british ale yeast).

Is this yeast going to peter out on me? I'm not sure where the terminal gravity is (or should) going to land.

What is the distinction between mouthfeel and body?

Body is the "thickness" of the beer, so to speak. Some beers are thin (like American lagers) while some beers have much more body. Mouthfeel is a combination of carbonation, body, "creaminess", etc.

How much of a role does oatmeal play in terms of mouthfeel and body?

Oatmeal gives a slick, creamy mouthfeel. It can feel oily if too much is used. It doesnt' really do anything for the body.

Body is the "thickness" of the beer, so to speak. Some beers are thin (like American lagers) while some beers have much more body. Mouthfeel is a combination of carbonation, body, "creaminess", etc.

Oatmeal gives a slick, creamy mouthfeel. It can feel oily if too much is used. It doesnt' really do anything for the body.

So it's possible to have a full-bodied beer that isn't creamy and a light-bodied beer that is?

Also, I saw that your recipe calls for a pound of flaked oats. I bought a kit that comes with 8 oz. of rolled oats. What is the difference between rolled and flaked oats? If I want to use a pound of oats, could I simply add 8 oz. more of Traditional Quaker Oats to the muslin bag? I figured traditional oats would be better than the instant or 1-minute oats since those have proteins stripped from them.

So it's possible to have a full-bodied beer that isn't creamy and a light-bodied beer that is?

Also, I saw that your recipe calls for a pound of flaked oats. I bought a kit that comes with 8 oz. of rolled oats. What is the difference between rolled and flaked oats? If I want to use a pound of oats, could I simply add 8 oz. more of Traditional Quaker Oats to the muslin bag? I figured traditional oats would be better than the instant or 1-minute oats since those have proteins stripped from them.

The reverse is true- you want to use Quick or instant oats unless you're cooking them or doing a cereal mash.

The reverse is true- you want to use Quick or instant oats unless you're cooking them or doing a cereal mash.

Obviously the oats will be cooked when they're added to the boiling mash. Did you mean cooking the oats BEFORE adding them to the mash? Also, what is the difference between the instant/quick oats and the traditional in terms of brewing?

Obviously the oats will be cooked when they're added to the boiling mash. Did you mean cooking the oats BEFORE adding them to the mash? Also, what is the difference between the instant/quick oats and the traditional in terms of brewing?

Your mash should NOT be boiling! Your mash should go no higher than 158 degrees.

Old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, etc must be cooked before using in the mash. That's to gelatinize the starches so they can work in the mash.

Quick oats are pregelatinized, as are the brewing flaked oats. They can go right into the mash.

Your mash should NOT be boiling! Your mash should go no higher than 158 degrees.

Old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, etc must be cooked before using in the mash. That's to gelatinize the starches so they can work in the mash.

Quick oats are pregelatinized, as are the brewing flaked oats. They can go right into the mash.

Haha sorry about that! Yes, the mash should not be boiling. I used the wrong word. Can you tell me more about flaked barley and oats?

Lil' Sparky, I've given your recipe a go. I actually am going to do two batches - one smaller batch I cooked last night and it went well. The second I plan to do a regular 5-gallon batch and move it into secondary. Do you have any tricks or tips on adding anything at secondary? This is my first go at a Stout.

Lil' Sparky, I've given your recipe a go. I actually am going to do two batches - one smaller batch I cooked last night and it went well. The second I plan to do a regular 5-gallon batch and move it into secondary. Do you have any tricks or tips on adding anything at secondary? This is my first go at a Stout.

I don't know if you like it but there is a no more vanilla stout on here that is phenomenal. Someone said it in a post but adding some vanilla beans in the secondary might be interesting. For the no more vanilla stout I took a growler, added a cup of woodford reserve and then 4 vanilla beans split down the middle. I did this on brew day and then each day I swirled the mixture around. After two weeks in the primary I poured in the growler contents into the secondary and then racked onto it. I'm going to make one of these recipes for an oatmeal stout but I think I'm going to use two vanilla beans instead of four.

Here's one I'm drinking now - it's great! I'll definately make it again, without changing a thing.

My guess is the recipe you posted will be quite strong and not very "middle of the road" for an oatmeal stout, but if that's how you like your stouts, then go for it.

9.0# 2-row
1.5# flaked oats
1.0# crystal 40L
0.5# chocolate
0.5# roasted

E.K. Goldings, 2 oz for 60 min (32 IBUs)

O.G. 1.050, F.G. 1.012
yeast: Nottingham

Thanks for the recipe mate!

Did brew it a few weeks ago, my first Stout ever, tasted already amazing when bottling it.

This weekend it will be ready to drink, I have high expectations on this one!

Did swap the roasted barley for unhulled roasted barley and used pale malt as the main malt plus sorachi ace for bittering (had a pack open at that time), but those little tweaks should not impact to much regarding taste.

Will let you know how it goes after I had the first few pints :)

Thanks for the recipe mate!

Did brew it a few weeks ago, my first Stout ever, tasted already amazing when bottling it.

This weekend it will be ready to drink, I have high expectations on this one!

Did swap the roasted barley for unhulled roasted barley and used pale malt as the main malt plus sorachi ace for bittering (had a pack open at that time), but those little tweaks should not impact to much regarding taste.

Will let you know how it goes after I had the first few pints :)

This brew was amazing from the first to the last bottle. Unfortunately, the last was the best. Meaning some months aging did improve the character a lot. Although it was already great before.

Latest posts

Back