About those big jugs...it's OK to call a carboy a JUG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmead

Reaction score
Wikipedia says....The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah (قرابه), from Arabic qarraba, "big jug".[3]

It's OK to call a car boy a jug. this is America, we don't need to adapt words from the Arabs.

Wikipedia says....The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah (قرابه), from Arabic qarraba, "big jug".[3]

It's OK to call a car boy a jug. this is America, we don't need to adapt words from the Arabs.

Living languages change - adopt and adapt.

B

Better not learn any math, either. Or if you do, stick to roman numerals and don't learn anything more complicated than multiplication.

Better not learn any math, either. Or if you do, make sure it's roman numerals and you don't learn anything more complicated than multiplication.

Or just go straight to Calculus, since that was invented by Gottfried Leibniz, a German (you know, that country that makes beer that a lot of people like)

Speaking of Big Jugs, there was this college girl at the Ferris State hockey game on Saturday who had some. She was wearing a very small, tight tank top, and just loved to emphasize them too. I'm not making this up.

She actually BOUNCED her way up the stairs to reach her seat. Let me clarify. She PURPOSEFULLY bounced her way up the stairs. And later I caught her out of the corner of my eye making them bounce ridiculously in her seat!

It's too bad I am am gentleman, or I would have gotten a picture to share.

So my point is, picking out a single word to practice Etymological Jihad on, is kind of *****y. The English language is made from words from all over the world dating back many centuries. Carboy is the accepted word for a fairly specific style of vessel used for during the fermentation of drink.

Big Jug is a very broad definition that could mean anything that holds liquid.

Or just go straight to Calculus, since that was invented by Gottfried Leibniz, a German (you know, that country that makes beer that a lot of people like)

Oh yeah, that reminds me, most of our modern technology was borrowed or built on stuff we borrowed from the Nazis.

Point being if we avoided everything just because we didn't like its origin, we'd all be living like paupers right now.

Speaking of Big Jugs, there was this college girl at the Ferris State hockey game on Saturday who had some. She was wearing a very small, tight tank top, and just loved to emphasize them too. I'm not making this up.

She actually BOUNCED her way up the stairs to reach her seat. Let me clarify. She PURPOSEFULLY bounced her way up the stairs. And later I caught her out of the corner of my eye making them bounce ridiculously in her seat!

Giving rise to the saying, "check out the carboys on her!"

I can't resist turning this troll thread into something fun...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9whwwTK6I]My Big fat greek wedding - Give me any word, and I show you how the root is greek... - YouTube[/ame]

Giving rise to the saying, "check out the carboys on her!"

LOL.

Well think about it this way...in the old days Wine used to be carried in Bags like this.

31ars0alHbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Drinking wine is fun, so you could call those things "fun bags."

See where this is going?;)

Especially if you carry 2 of them, one for red and one for white.

Wineskin comes from the French v'ins-quin, meaning holy giant knockers.

It's OK to call wineskins holy giant knockers, because the French are ********.

I like carboys of all sizes and shapes.

Sometimes really big, heavy carboys are just what you need - too big to hold, really, but its great to have a pair of giant carboys around. Then the medium sized carboys have their place, also, they're easier to work with and do the job admirably. Then small carboys of course are quite common and I always keep a few of those around too - I'm always surprised how useful a small set of carboys can be.

LOL.

Well think about it this way...in the old days Wine used to be carried in Bags like this.

31ars0alHbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Drinking wine is fun, so you could call those things "fun bags."

See where this is going?;)

Especially if you carry 2 of them, one for red and one for white.

Yes, two is the perfect number.

Even better when they come in silk and lace. Makes the carboys nicer to look at.

Wait, I forgot what we were talking about.

I really like the way the huge carboys look without the straps. I always take the straps off, although sometimes its really a challenge to get the hooks undone.

Carboy is just such an odd term, I had to know it's origin. I concede there is very little that is completely American and unborrowed. :mug:

Carboy is just such an odd term, I had to know it's origin. I concede there is very little that is completely American and unborrowed. :mug:

Then there'd be no words to use, since 99.99% of the words in the english language come from somehwere else.

We could call them "Freedom Fries" maybe, that's really 'merican. :rolleyes:

Did you bother looking up "jug?"

jug (n.) First use in the 1530s.
"deep vessel for carrying liquids," late 15c., jugge, variant of jubbe, of unknown origin, perhaps from jug "a low woman, a maidservant" (mid-16c.), a familiar alteration of a common personal name, Joan or Judith. Use as a musical instrument is attested from 1946. Jughead "klutz" is from 1926; jughandle "tight curved road used for turns" is from 1961. Jugs for "woman's breasts" first recorded 1920 in Australian slang, short for milk jugs.

If the first use was in the 1530's I can assure you Jug is not of American origin.

Arabs would be pretty pissed if you mix them and the Persians up. Different ethnic groups, same religion.......

Of course we could just go to our favorite etymologist.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O8rWViCixQ]HotForWords - Where did the word "Boobs" originated? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Homercidal said:

It's too bad I am am gentleman, or I would have gotten a picture to share.

So my point is, picking out a single word to practice Etymological Jihad on, is kind of *****y. The English language is made from words from all over the world dating back many centuries. Carboy is the accepted word for a fairly specific style of vessel used for during the fermentation of drink.

Big Jug is a very broad definition that could mean anything that holds liquid.

Screw being a gentleman, pics or it didn't happen!!

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

sincere - from Greek, means literally "without wax"
"yeah, without Q-tips i'd be insincere."

but really, cool story, bro.

Back