Fermentation Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Reaction score
My kitchen is at around 73 to 74 degrees. I plan on brewing an English Pale Ale using Wyeast #1275 Thames Valley Ale. The recommended temperature is 62' to 72'. I will be fermenting in a plastic bucket.

Of course I could turn my AC on for 3 weeks, but that is expensive and a bit absurd. Any advice on keeping the temperature controlled?

Thanks.

If you have a tub you can put water inside and drop your bucket inside. Put a t-shirt over the bucket and have a fan blowing on it. Acts like an evaporative cooler and I get a few degrees temp drop. It has been discussed here several times. Give a quick search and you'll find it.

I posted this minutes ago and I already got 2 replies. You guys are great! Thanks.

I put my fermenter down into a 30 gallon garbage can that I bought at Walmart for a few bucks. I put blocks of ice, that I freeze in my freezer, in it morning and night and control my fermentation temps down into the middle 60's without any problem. When the water level gets too high, I just take a bucket or two out and keep going. It's cheap and works great.

Back