Made chili yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Picked up the ingredients I needed on Monday, made the batch on Tuesday. Since I have a dedicated meat grinder (have the attachment for the KitchenAid mixer too) I picked up a ~4-1/4# chuck roast to grind up (used 3-1/4# of it). I like grinding it myself since the grocery stores typically grind it to a mush. I send it through the grinder using the largest opening disc, just one time. Nice course grind, which breaks up really well. Soaked the beans overnight (1 pound each red kidney, small red, and pinto) to get them ready. Also picked up several different hot peppers. Included a couple of jalapeno, 3 serrano's, 3 scotch bonnets, 4 habaneros and a few other more mild peppers.

Ingredients list:
Course ground chuck beef. Don't trim it, just get it as course as possible.
Beans (I didn't use all that were soaked, but plan on using what's left for refried beans) soaked overnight
Hot peppers to taste. I removed the seeds and ribs where possible before chopping them up.
3-4 sweet yellow onions
2/3 bulb garlic
Chili powder
Dried cayenne pepper
Cumin powder
Hot sauce (type you like)
EVOO
Crushed tomato

Prep all ingredients. Includes chopping onions, garlic, hot peppers (I set the scotch bonnets and habaneros in a different container than the rest) grinding the meat (if you can), etc. Start with a sweat of some of the onions (small handful) in some EVOO, adding the ground meat once ready. Add some of the hot pepper mix, some of the chopped garlic, dashes of the dried pepper/powders and hot sauce. Allow the meat to fully cook. Add in a bit more onions. Spoon in the bean mixture until you're about even between beans and meat. You can go heavier on either if you like, just don't go too heavy on the beans. Let get back up to temperature and then add the crushed tomato cans (I used 5 in my batch, in a 16qt pot). Add in some more of the hot peppers and onions and set to simmer. Add homebrew to the batch before letting it simmer. I used a full quart in this batch, from tap. :rockin: If you still bottle, just make sure you leave the sediment behind.

Check on the pot periodically to ensure it doesn't cook too hard/fast. Mix to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom/burn. Add the hot pepper mix every 1-2 hours of the cook time. Small additions are better, IME, than large additions. Also add in the remaining chopped garlic and most of the onions. After 8-10 hours, the beans should be cooked enough to be crushed with the back of a spoon. I use the bean test to determine when the batch is done. You can add the last of the onions either once the beans are done, or when they are almost done.

Once bean test shows they are cooked, turn off heat and let rest (~1 hour) and cool some. Container up and put into the fridge overnight. Freeze what you're not going to eat within a few days. I often add some more chopped onion to each container before freezing them. Or when reheating them, just before serving.

You can adjust the pepper amounts according to how much heat you like. I use the variety so that I get different pepper flavors in the batch. Removing the seeds from the peppers allows more flavor to come through (than raw heat). I do wear gloves when preparing the hot peppers, but that's all. If you don't have a meat grinder, then see if you can get your butcher to do a course grind on the meat for you. Pick a good sized chuck roast for this, that also looks good. You'll want a decent amount of fat in it, but not too much. After a while, you'll learn what right/good looks like.

To serve, just heat and set some tortilla chips on the table. IF it's hotter than you like, put some shredded jack or cheddar cheese into the bowl too. Mix it up, let the cheese melt, and it will temper some of the heat. I almost always end up with some of the super-hot peppers left over. I place the already chopped peppers into a ziplock bag and toss into the fridge. If someone is having some that wants more heat, a little of that usually satisfies them.

I typically make this a couple of times a year, depending on freezer space.

Back