Racking Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidiot

Reaction score
I have done a few brews now, getting the hang of most of the tasks, but for the life of me I still can't get racking to work right consistently. So far it hasn't ruined anything, but I know if I can't get this to work something is going to get ruined. After this last messed up transfer of my dubbel(air in the line everywhere! I know it would bring tears to some of your eyes) I figured it was time to ask the pros.

The big problem I have is the tube will never seal against the racking cane, so it starts to go and then sucks in a bunch of air and swirls it all around the beer and down the tube. Is there some trick to this I am missing?

I have tried using metal screw clamps to tighten it, but just holding it in some awkward and painful way seems to be the only way I can ever get it to flow right.

You should get a different tube that has a slightly smaller ID so that it seals better to your canes. I got a new tube for bottling two batches last weekend and had the same problem, air getting in from the tubes not sealing tight.

Get new hose, easiest way.

I had the same problem (using an autosiphon) and followed the recommendation to try a smaller diameter tube. Used the next smaller size but couldn't get it onto the cane. So...I went to junk drawer and got a handful of twist ties and twisted several of them tightly over the larger tubing onto the cane. Ever since I have had absolute success every time I've racked.

1. Get smaller ID (inner diameter) tubing.

2. Run hot water into a jar and place 1 end of the tube into it and let sit for 1 minute. The tube should be hot/warm enough to stretch over the end of the cane. ;)

3. It'll shrink as it cools and the seal will be tight.

Or you could do what I do...just use the hose, with no cane. A little tricky the first time you try it, but once you get used to it it's not as hard as it sounds. Started doing it that way a long time ago when I cracked my racking cane, and never got around to getting another one. Now I don't even think about it.

Back