Stir bar lost in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Just realized that after pitching my yeast start that I must have also pitched the stir bar. Is this something to be concerned about? Either way, how do others prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks

Have done the same thing. You will be OK. To prevent losing the stir bar, hold it in place while you pour by placing another magnet or stir bar next to it against the side of the flask. It will stay there, in the flask, while you pour.

I lose one periodically. No big deal. Just don't forget to grab it before you dump the trub down the drain. I always label my fermenter with a post-it so I don't forget 3-4 weeks down the road.

You're kidding right? No one's that stupid.....

Except maybe me...;)

Stirbar.jpg

And the folks in THIS CURRENT thread. :)

Don't forget the secret ingredient when pitching yeast starters...

The beer turned out great.

FYI, I've found that another stirbar magnet is perfect for holding the one in the vessel in place while you're pouring your yeast into your fermenter.

I've done this twice in a row now. I keep an extra hard drive magnet, still mounted on its original bracket, stuck to the range hood that I use for both catching the stirbar in the flask, or recovering it from the carboy. I just tip the carboy on its edge and run the magnet in circles over the bottom surface until I feel the stirbar catch -- then I just pull it up and out the neck by sliding the magnet along the side of the carboy. Why don't I leave it in the carboy and worry about it later? Because I've learned the hard way that no matter what I do, I will forget that it's there and toss it down the drain.

Buzzbeer said:
Have done the same thing. You will be OK. To prevent losing the stir bar, hold it in place while you pour by placing another magnet or stir bar next to it against the side of the flask. It will stay there, in the flask, while you pour.

Thanks for the tip. Im just glad it shouldn't affect the out outcome of the beer.

Back