dfh punkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am brewing a clone of this as I type. I'm guessing the price is due to Sam also having to fight a little old lady for cans of overpriced organic pumpkin...

Everywhere around here is completely sold out. I ended up finding the 15oz organic cans at Wegmans but they only had a few cans left. I was surprised at how difficult it was to find.

I just bought a case. My wife loves it and it's 7% ABV. Works out for me. :ban:

I'm planning on making a pumpkin clone next week, is there that big of a difference with "organic" pumpkin?

This brings up a question I wanted to pose to the HBT community. DO you think you would really drink 5 gallons of this? My thing is this, just like with pumpkin pie, The first slice or two is AMAZING!! You are in flavor heaven with your tongue getting massaged by these beautiful pumpkin shaped flavor molecules of awesome while sweet spices sing lullaby's of perfect brew days gone by and to come. Then you have a few more slices and you start getting sick of it. You have another slice and you can't even finish it. This is my thing with pumpkin ale.

It tastes great at first and other than giving it away as gifts will you really go through a 5 gallon batch? Or more importantly would it be worth it to you to take up the space in your pipeline for this beer instead of something you would drink everyday and ask for more, like your absolutely amazing house stout recipe that you are running low on?

Bought several cans of organic pumpkin off Amazon a month ago for under $2 maybe dfh should buy theirs somewhere else...lol my pumpkin had no pumpkin or spice flavor when I bottled it. Hope it comes around in a couple months?

This brings up a question I wanted to pose to the HBT community. DO you think you would really drink 5 gallons of this? My thing is this, just like with pumpkin pie, The first slice or two is AMAZING!! You are in flavor heaven with your tongue getting massaged by these beautiful pumpkin shaped flavor molecules of awesome while sweet spices sing lullaby's of perfect brew days gone by and to come. Then you have a few more slices and you start getting sick of it. You have another slice and you can't even finish it. This is my thing with pumpkin ale.

It tastes great at first and other than giving it away as gifts will you really go through a 5 gallon batch? Or more importantly would it be worth it to you to take up the space in your pipeline for this beer instead of something you would drink everyday and ask for more, like your absolutely amazing house stout recipe that you are running low on?

I guess that depends on whether or not you like pumpkin beer, doesn't it...I haven't done it in two years, but I used to brew a pumpkin beer every year, and really liked it.

Now to be fair, the reason I stopped brewing it every year was because my time is limited, and there have been other things I wanted to brew, but it wasn't because I go to the point where I couldn't possibly drink another pumpkin beer!

I'm planning on making a pumpkin clone next week, is there that big of a difference with "organic" pumpkin?

I only used organic pumpkin because that was all that was available. There is apparently a pumpkin shortage this year. I went to three grocery stores, and none of them had pumpkin at all, just signs with notice of the shortage. I found organic pumpkin at a whole foods store.

Bought several cans of organic pumpkin off Amazon a month ago for under $2 maybe dfh should buy theirs somewhere else...lol my pumpkin had no pumpkin or spice flavor when I bottled it. Hope it comes around in a couple months?

Oops!!......dont know much about pumpkin beer, but as far as I know flavour will melow with time!

+1

I'll buy a 6er of O'Fallon Pumpkin and that will do for the Smith household :D

If I brewed 10 gallon batches, that wouldn't be enough pumpkin ale for me and my wife. I love fall for 3 reasons: nighttime temps in Florida start to think about being not oppressive, real football (read not NFL, but rather college) starts, and pumpkin ale!

I know there are only a few months a year when it's available and appropriate to drink and I take full advantage. Come Oct 10 (when my batch is scheduled to be ready), I will drink little else.

I guess that depends on whether or not you like pumpkin beer, doesn't it...I haven't done it in two years, but I used to brew a pumpkin beer every year, and really liked it.

Now to be fair, the reason I stopped brewing it every year was because my time is limited, and there have been other things I wanted to brew, but it wasn't because I go to the point where I couldn't possibly drink another pumpkin beer!

I brew one every year, and if I'm lucky I get to drink 12 before they're gone, this is definitely one I give a lot away on.

Whoever is selling it is definitely over charging. In Philadelphia, which has sky-high PA taxes on top of overpriced distributors, I paid <$50 for a case of it last year. Turns out I do not like it very much...

If I brewed 10 gallon batches, that wouldn't be enough pumpkin ale for me and my wife. I love fall for 3 reasons: nighttime temps in Florida start to think about being not oppressive, real football (read not NFL, but rather college) starts, and pumpkin ale!

I know there are only a few months a year when it's available and appropriate to drink and I take full advantage. Come Oct 10 (when my batch is scheduled to be ready), I will drink little else.

As someone who just moved from Florida (to another oppressively hot state, even more so actually, lol) you are spot on.

College football, being able to actually be outside, and fall seasonals.

Back